cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

SLM2048 switches with a cascade stop processing DHCP requests

Hi, we purchased 5 SLM2048 switches on August/2010. From the beginning, they gave us problems with machines being unable to get IP addresses after a couple of days of being working fine. Only rebooting the switch solved the problem. I upgraded the devices to firmware 2.0.0.8 but problem remained.

After searching the web, I found a post in a discussion group saying that disabling STP in each port, globally in the device and then configuring the port as fastport was a workaround to this problem. By the way, I found I was not alone with the problem.

Indeed, after changing these configurations (all others remained as default) as mentioned in the discussion group, 3 of the switches worked fine. But, the other 2 keeps causing the same issue. The only difference between the faulty switches and the other 3 is that there is a cascade between these two devices, so I am assuming that the problem is on the cascade. All the 5 switches are connected to a core 3COM switch but only the faulty switches have a cascade between them.

I would appreciate any ideas about the reason of this problem. I was reading some documentation on the web and I found information about BDPU Handling. By default, these switches have flooding as the BDPU handling option. Is BDPU handling related to this problem?

Xavier Villafuerte

El mensaje fue editado por: Xavier Villafuerte

Everyone's tags (5)