cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Some Ports on Cisco switch SG300-52P

Mkhater
Level 1
Level 1

I have a cisco switch (model SG300-52P), I use it to connect IP security cameras to Network Video Recorder (NVR).  Some ports do not work with some cameras (especially the first ones in numbering 1 to 5).  But the same cameras work fine with other ports?  These problem ports 1 to 5 show operational status down?  I do not know why they are down? When I plug other cameras with a short cable near switch in these ports 1 to 5 they go up?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check logs , if these get connected to the none working ports. also then check interface status , and counters (e.g.)...

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thanks, appreciate explaining more on "Check logs" and interface status and counters? how they affect this and how to resolve the issues.

Hi

Make sure you have enough power. I already worked in a situation where some cameras did not work because switch could not deliver power to all camera. Newer cameras with high quality images, consume lot more power to work (30W sometimes).

You need to do the math considering your Power supply capacity and divide by the switch port number times the Camera requirement.

Another option is a faulty switch as well.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

I also experienced similar issue a years ago. I would recommend to change power source and try again.  I hope you cables and connectors are as per standard and in good condition. You have not to cross recommended cable length  too. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Thanks, change power source for the switch itself or the cameras?