cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

SRW Series QoS configuration for VoIP

Hello Cisco experts,

I have SRW224G4 switch in an office connected to the internet through port1, Asterisk server through port 9, Internal computers through ports 16-24.

Currently, voice is cutting in the inbound direction when computer users are using Internet. I am trying to make some QoS configuration in which remote IAX2 phone, which uses UDP port 4569, will not be affected by Internet usage made by internal computers.

I have logged in to the switch management webpage, I found a section for (QoS), but I need some help in specifying which parameter should I configure.

Internet connection speed is 1mbps DL / 512kbps UL. I can configure Asterisk to mark packest with some TOS if required.

Drawing1.jpg

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Beginner

Re: SRW Series QoS configuration for VoIP

One way to do it would be to configure Asterisk to assign a DSCP value of 46 to voice packets.

Then on the SRW224G4, use:

CoS Settings tab / QoS mode: Basic

Basic tab / Trust mode: DSCP

That would give priority to voice packets inside your network.

Possible problems:

• your ISP will most likely clear DSCP markings on packets going out of the network
  • rare case: your ISP might charge you more for packets marked with DSCP 46 (not likely on an ADSL connection)
  • bottleneck will be the ADSL router, so if possible, you should implement QoS based on DSCP on that device
  • if some PC based software uses DSCP markings, it'll get priority also

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tamas

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Beginner

Re: SRW Series QoS configuration for VoIP

One way to do it would be to configure Asterisk to assign a DSCP value of 46 to voice packets.

Then on the SRW224G4, use:

CoS Settings tab / QoS mode: Basic

Basic tab / Trust mode: DSCP

That would give priority to voice packets inside your network.

Possible problems:

• your ISP will most likely clear DSCP markings on packets going out of the network
  • rare case: your ISP might charge you more for packets marked with DSCP 46 (not likely on an ADSL connection)
  • bottleneck will be the ADSL router, so if possible, you should implement QoS based on DSCP on that device
  • if some PC based software uses DSCP markings, it'll get priority also

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tamas

View solution in original post