Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW2024 rebooting every 50 days

zumbrunnen
Level 1
Level 1

HELLO WORLD

We have two SRW2024 which has a strange behavior. both of them rebooting exactly every 50 days.we face everytime a short outage of the network traffic.

Model Name   SRW2024 
Hardware Version   00.03.00 
Boot Version   1.0.1 
Firmware Version   1.2.2

Is this a known issue? In the support section I found a firmware 1.2.2b. I cant find any release notes and I'm asking myself, if this FW version would solve this automated reboot?

switch_uptime_SRW2024.png

8 Replies 8

Ivor Diedricks
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This is the first I've heard of such a problem. Can you please upload the log output.

in approx 25 days I'll post the logs here. then its time, that the switch reboot again :)

in the meantime, the log is not telling me anything.

zumbrunnen
Level 1
Level 1

short after I wrote my last post I loged in with IE8 into the switch web management.

and holly desaster :) the switch did a cold startup. check the log here :

Aug 17 00:25:26 lan-switch.dmd2.xxx/lan-switch.dmd2.xx %SYSLOG-F-OSFATAL:     <8c>ºo^A FATAL ERROR: GOAH: ABORT DATA exception     ***** FATAL ERROR *****    SW Version  :  1.2.2.22  Version Date:  28-Jan-2007  Version Time:  13:48:36    Instruction            0x148950  Exception vector       0x10  Program state register 0x20000013
Aug 17 00:26:36 lan-switch.dmd2.ch/lan-switch.dmd2.xxx %INIT-I-Startup: Cold Startup

what does that mean ? it seams, that IE can cause the switch to reboot !

any ideas ?

cheers

tom

Tom,

We have a number of questions to try to get to the root of the problem here. Therefore, can you please open a case with the Support organization and post the case number on the community and we can have one of our experts call you and work with you directly on this problem.Support Center contacts are at the following link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Here are some of the questions/comments:

To assist with our investigation kindly provide the following:

Issue 1 - reboot every 50 days issue

- Based on the information that was provided it appears that you have a syslog server. Does the syslog server log every 50 days a startup syslog message (for example: %INIT-I-Startup: Cold Startup)?

- How is the system uptime measured (which tool, how does the tool measure it)?

- Configuration of the device

- The content of the memory & flash logs

- Is there some kind of automatic process in the network that occurs every 50 days?

Issue 2 - fatal error

- Which build of IE 8 is used?

- Are there any plugins in IE 8?

- Was there any change in IE 8 from default configuration?

- Does it always happen when logging in, or did it happen just once?

- Did it happen immediately when logging in, or did it happen after navigating to a certain page / between pages?

Please provide you case number and we'll get to the root of the problem.

Thanks,

Ivor

Hello Ivor

thank your asking back.

I'll post the case number tomorrow. in the meantime I'd like to answer your questions :

Issue 1 - reboot every 50 days issue

- Based on the information that was provided it appears that you have a syslog server. Does the syslog server log every 50 days a startup syslog message (for example: %INIT-I-Startup: Cold Startup)?

>>> After I figured out the issues for the first time I configured the Switch for sending the mesages to our log server. yesterday was day 25 as I posted my last message. the Issue 2 happens and I need to wait now another 50 days.

- How is the system uptime measured (which tool, how does the tool measure it)?

>>> the system uptime is measured with cacti.net monitoring by using the SNMP read community OID .1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0

- Configuration of the device

>>> the switch has no special configuration. just used as a plain (unmanaged) switch within a LAN. the switch is used in a audio streaming environment. we produce corporate webradio streams for our customer. therefore the switch is used 24/7 with a average load of 20 Mbit/s output on port g1 to the Firewall >>> WAN Switch >>> ISP Backbone

- The content of the memory & flash logs

>>>> I currently won't login again, because I fear of another reboot. the switch is in productive environment and another forced cold startup will cause streaming interrupts for our customers ! I try to access with a IE6 standalone installation from Multiple IE (http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE) and keep you posted on that

- Is there some kind of automatic process in the network that occurs every 50 days?

>>> no automatic processes within the LAN

Issue 2 - fatal error

- Which build of IE 8 is used?

>>> the latest after updating from IE7 to IE8 (MS update function) : Version 8.0.6001.18702

- Are there any plugins in IE 8?

>>> just two plugins automaticly installed from Java are installed see below :

Name:                   Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper
Publisher:              (Not verified) Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Type:                   Browser Helper Object
Version:                6.0.130.3
File date:             
Date last accessed:     Montag, 17. August 2009, 22:53
Class ID:               {DBC80044-A445-435B-BC74-9C25C1C588A9}
Use count:              27
Block count:            0
File:                   jp2ssv.dll
Folder:                 C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin

Name:                   JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class
Publisher:              (Not verified) Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Type:                   Browser Helper Object
Version:                6.0.130.3
File date:             
Date last accessed:     Montag, 17. August 2009, 22:53
Class ID:               {E7E6F031-17CE-4C07-BC86-EABFE594F69C}
Use count:              27
Block count:            0
File:                   jqs_plugin.dll
Folder:                 C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\lib\deploy\jqs\ie

- Was there any change in IE 8 from default configuration?

>>> No

- Does it always happen when logging in, or did it happen just once?

>>> It happens just once. before sometimes I was not able to see something in the browser. the web management site stayed in blue. the same behavior as already reported here in the forum.

- Did it happen immediately when logging in, or did it happen after navigating to a certain page / between pages?

>>> I loged in and navigated to the System log site.

My boss wants to replace the both switch by HP ProCurve switches if this happens frequently. So I cant promise that we keep this switches for another 50 days. I'll open a case number anyway and keep you informed

Regards

tom

Tom,

Thanks, this will hopefully help us try to narrow down the problem. Please post your case number when you receive it and we will have someone call you.

Thanks,

Ivor

neth_photo
Level 1
Level 1

zumbrunnen,

I had the exact same issue with my SRW2024 v1 switch.  Random reboots with no real pattern - yours at least had some sort of recognizable pattern.  Firmware updates and Cisco support didn't help.  Then I started loosing ports on the switch and had to replace it.  The replacement - a SRW2024 v1.2 switch - has been problem free for over a year.

thanx neth_photo for confirmation.

at the end we lost ports too. since we run a productive environment with permanent traffic load, we decided to move to rock solid HP Procurve switches which costs more but satisfying our needs. It seams that the SRW2024 switches are know as flaky when having high load traffic.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X