cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW2048 serial console is read-only

oernii-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have connected my SRW2048 to a serial port and I can see  the boot process of the router but I cannot write anything, I see the  login prompt but cannot login.

- I use the original cable which was shipped with the switch

- I have uses 3 differenet PCs

- I can use telnet and ssh, but I need the serial also.

5 Replies 5

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

It sounds like your getting to the switch just fine.  The issue seems to be you don't have the password to get into it.

If that is the case, you can reset the password and login to the switch using the following steps.

The password will be admin and the username is admin.

Q. How do I recover the password  of my switch?

A.

If you do not know or have  forgotten your password to get into the switch's configuration  interface, you may try running the Password Recovery.  This is a solution which allows the user login to the switch using its  default username ("admin").

Performing Password Recovery  (Accton Switches - SRW224P, SRW2024P)

Step 1:
Connect  to the console port using terminal emulation parameters (typically 38400,  8, 0, 1, None).

Step  2:
Reboot switch by unplugging the power.

Step  3:
Hold down Ctrl U while rebooting  to display Menu.

Step 4:
Select [D]  Delete file.

Step 5:
Type  "startup-config" (be sure that this is the ONLY file that you delete -  if you delete other files, you will have to reload the firmware)

Step  6:
Now, you have erased the configuration file and  you should be able to reboot and login with the default username and  password.

Performing Password Recovery  (Marvell Switches - SRW2016, SRW2024, SRW2048, SRW224G4, SRW248G4)

Step 1:
Connect  to the console port using terminal emulation parameters (typically 38400,  8, 0, 1, None).

Step  2:
Reboot the switch by unplugging the power.

Step  3:
After viewing PASS on the  screen, Press ESC on your keyboard to display the BOOTmenu.

Step  4:
Select [3] Password Recovery Procedure.

Step  5:
You can now login to the switches with the  default username and password.

Note: Be sure to  change the password to something you can easily remember. After  rebooting, the default password will not be accessible unless you add it  back to the list of passwords. The passwords will be restored to the  passwords configured on the switch.

No! I know the password I *CAN* login with ssh, telnet and internet explorer. What I cannot do is input to serial console. I cannot even type in the login name and password, not even ENTER or ESC works.

What are you using to console in, hyperterminal or something else?

Make sure the scroll like is not on,  I have had that make it to where I was not able to login.  Once I turned it off it worked.

- i'm using minicom on linux

- i have tried a serial port on the motherboard and an Usb2serial

- i have the correct settings 38400 8N1

- i can see the boot process and the login screen

- i use the original linksys cable

- my serial ports and minicom are working on other devices: switches, cisco routers, HP arrays (with their appropriate cables)

- what I cannot do is type anything into the login screen, nothing, no characters, no enter. no reaction whatsoever

On the machine your using can you turn the scroll lock on and off and see if that works.

Other than that, I have never used the minicom on linux machine.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X