Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW224G4: IPs changing

routerboy309
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I hope this is the right place to post and if not, please forward to the right place.

I have 4 PCs on the network that I connect to a SRW224G4 switch (which goes to a router followed by a DSL modem). All PCs were doing just great untill employees suddently lost access to the Internet. When I looked at their IPs, I noticed they were using 169.254.x.x instead of 192.168.2.x (something changed them).  I checked the switch and the IP for the switch were correct (still showing the switch using - 192.168.2.254). When I disconnect the switch from the router and plugged the 4 PCs into the router, the PCs show the right IPs (192.168.2.x) and were able to surf the Internet again.  Plugging them back into the switch - the PCs assume the wrong IPs of 169.254.x.x and fail to get to the Internet.

I did a factory reset to the switch. When I log into the 'switch' it shows 192.168.2.254...but when I connect the PC back to the switch - then the switch back to router (whose IP is 192.168.2.1), the PCs return to 169.254.x.x. Where is the 169.254.x.x coming from?

The hardware version is 00.03.00

The Boot version is 1.0.2

The Firmware is 1.2.1B

Thanks

Jim

3 Replies 3

smugas1975
Level 1
Level 1

If computer has DHCP set and no DHCP server detected then is using stateless autoconfiguration to set IP addres, any

free adress from 169.254.0.0/16 network. More details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

This means that computers can't reach dhcp server - check cables.

BTW, switch address after factory reset was 192.168.2.254  ?

Hi

Correct - no DHCP server. So I'm guessing from your reply I should go static since I don't have a DHCP server and this will keep the switch and PCs from getting out of "sync".

<<< BTW, switch address after factory reset was 192.168.2.254 ?>>>

Sorry. After factory reset, I programmed (changed) the switch to use 192.168.2.254 from the default IP that was set. But even if the switch had the IP of 192.168.2.254, the PCs still rolled over to using 169.254.x.x.. Again, sounds like the mthod ot ensure this doesn't happen again, I need to static everything.

BTW: Do you know if the switch will support IE9 to program if the illegal characters (*, ?, etc...) are elminated?

Jim

Hello Jim,

Sounds like the router is not communicating with the switch. If you log into the switch can you use the ping utility and ping the router or ping a outside IP address? If not you may have to setup a default gateway on the switch. If that dosn't help check the cable  connection between the switch and the router. If that still dosn't help change the auto negotiation of the port to 100 full and test.

If you can ping then the only thing stopping DHCP from reaching the client is possible storm control but I would doubt that because the default is 10% of the total port bandwidth. The likley hood that your topology is broadcasting 10Mbps on all the client ports is very slim.

Hope this helps.

Cisco Small Business Support Center

Randy Manthey

CCNA, CCNA - Security

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X