cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SRW248g4p end of life replaced with SF and SG series lacks spaning

thomas
Level 1
Level 1

I have been using SRW series to setup VOIP phones in a flat network without creating a separate vLan. This works well because i can add and remove up to 48 port into port mirroring. Unfortunately the new models only support 8 port mirroring. This is a serious problem for me becuase obiously i have to have vLan, creating 2 network class. also it prevents me from selecting ports as i needed. Is there a way you can increase the number of port mirroring on the new SF or SG series switches?????? we use port mirroring to capture only the voice calls, and we dont want to catch the data connections in the entire vlan. this is just not what i expected with newer model. What is the point of new model that cant do what older models can use to do? Is there a way you can implement an increate in the port mirror on the newer model switches?

3 Replies 3

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Thomas,

What about trying VLAN mirroring

see screen capture below from my p/m SRW2008P-K9-NA (SG300-10P).

regards Dave

The Vlan Creates a problem because we only want specific ports to be monitored. Half of the ports are used by PC and other half by Voip phones. We are only interested in port mirroring on  voip phone ports, not the data ports. When we create the vlan, it forwards the entire vlan this prevents us from separating the voice traffic and data traffic(well getting too much data we dont want). We need to be able to select any port and any number of the port(at least 24 ports) and create the port mirroring without have to be limited to 8 port on 48 port switch.  If port mirroring port limit can be increased to 24 on 48 port switch them this will be sufficient. 8 is simply not working.

Hi Thomas,

Now i understand, I think. 

You have both your phones and your PC's in the same LAN

.I was working on an assumption that you have data and voip separated by VLAN.

Why not use a better practice of separating the phones into one VLAN and the PC's in a separate VLAN.

At least then you have better control of the quality of service provided to voice clients.  Or I'll put it another way you have a better opportunity to give priority to voice traffic compared to best effort data traffic. You will be providing a better controllable network for your end users.

Yes it involves using a  switch such as a SG300 series (SRW248G4P-K9-xx) and a VLAN aware router, but it really is a better practice than putting all traffic on the same LAN..

Why not  make use of VLAN technology to create a more controllable network and then VLAN  mirroring to capture your voip traffic.

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X