cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch Connectivity Issue - Spanning Tree

noc-cville
Level 1
Level 1

Attached is a current network diagram.  The wireless point to point links between the switches are 5.8Ghz radio's.  All switches are Cisco Small Business 200 24-port POE.

I first turned up switch A, B and C but only had wireless links A and B connected.  My thought was making switch A the root bridge would allow spanning tree to disable link B once all the wireless links were up and running.  However, once I turned up wireless link C is when I started having issues. Here is a list of some of the symptoms.

1.  With all three wireless links up and running the wireless link ethernet port connected to switch B on link B shows as an alternate port and is discarding, which is what one would expect.

2.  Switch C does not seem to participate with the other switches in spanning-tree, it thinks its the root bridge even though switch A's priority is set to 0 and the other two are equally left at the default 32768.

3.  With all three links up, I cannot manage any of the devices at swtich C (192.168.1.250 and 192.168.1.254 are inexcessible to me)

4.  Restarting various wireless bridges produces varying results, but I can never accomplish what I think should be pretty straight forward in a simple network.

Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies 3

noc-cville
Level 1
Level 1

Another interesting development.  I had to disable the link from switch A to switch C.  I can now access everything for management and configuration purposes.  However, I just noticed that switch B see's both A and C through LLDP and CDP, but switch A doesn't see switch B and switch C doesn't see switch B through either protocol.

noc-cville
Level 1
Level 1

Help!  Anyone?

Nelson Galimba
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Mark,

What is the switch ports', connecting to the bridge, configuration (trunk, allowing required VLANs)? 

I'm not familiar with EZ bridge.  Do you reliably see any CDP messages or BPDU's from one switch to another (On one of the switches, mirror the port connected to the bridge and see what is recieved from the other switch using wireshark).

Thanks,

Nelson

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X