cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Throughput issue routed SG-300

blamerson
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone have a consistent way for me to test throughput on a routed SG-300.  I tried using iperf with netbook on VLAN1 to netbook on routed interface running @ 100mb.  I was getting results as low as 40mb upto 200mb (sometimes even 2gb, I assumed these to be flukes).  Since implementing it, the throughtput seems worse, I'm getting between 10 - 40mb of throughput.  I have about 30 clients behind it routing across a 100mb leased link.  I don't see why the SG300 shouldn't be able to do wire speed routing (upto 100 hosts).  Has anyone else experienced this issue or have a good way for me to verify the expected throughput consistently?  Thanks!

Brian Lamerson

3 Replies 3

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Blamerson, How does actual file transfers fair? Lets say a 5 gig file on a point to point? I'm not sure there is really any 'good' way to test the switch throughput but I can assure the switch should operate up to spec.

The one thing I definitely recommend, make sure you're running at least the 1.1.2.0 software code. Anything less than that may have some performance problems.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Tom gave some good advice.

Use the currently available version of firmware.  This is  a good practice.  Firmware brings not only fixes to bugs  but softawre enhancement.

Concerning  throughput testing, as a free utility I now started to use jperf,  the GUI version of iperf. (Screen capture below)

I just ran a jperf run between two PC connected to my SG300-10P  and got the following results, captured below. 

regards Dave

Thanks for the replies.  I think the issue is unrelated to the SG now, but jperf looks great!  The switch is running 1.2.7.76.  I took the switch, disconnecte everything, and  plugged my laptop in at the far side and tested throughput across the link and consistently got 80 - 95mbps.  Plugged the LAN back in with my laptop in a port on the switch, and throughput dropped to 20 - 35mbps.  There are some cameras (...4?) writing to a remote DVR, but I didn't think they'd consume this much bandwidth - otherwise there might be some other issue..  Thanks for the help though!