Helpful
Replies

Trouble uplinking to 2960 switch

jaydien1358
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Just installed a new 2960 switch.

Everything is working except that I am no longer to uplink a small unmanged linksys switch that is leftover from previous configuration.

I am using x-over cable and have tried adjusting switchport modes.

If I use a straight through cable, The link goes up and down constantly. If I use a x-over cable, the link stays up but no communications.

What am I doing wrong?

-Brian

www.jaydien.com

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Brian,

I would guess that the problem your having is a line speed negotiation problem. Without the specific models numbers of the equipment and the ports being used on the equipment for the uplink, it is just a guess.

All Linksys switches auto cross over. While this function can be disabled (on most models), it should not be an issue.

You may be plugging your Linksys into the 10/100/1000 of the 2960 which may be confusing the Linksys terribly if it is only 10/100. Try one of the 10/100 ports on your 2960 or statically set the line speeds on one or both devices, where available.

Get those model and port numbers and we will look deeper.

Thanks,

Chris

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Glenn Quesenberry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Brian,

What model unmanaged switch are you trying to connect to?  Does it have specific uplink ports?  You should be able to connect a regular straight-thru cable to an uplink port on each switch, but you may need to set the port type on the 2960 to trunk port perhaps?  Let me know what model of unmanaged Linksys switch you are trying to connect so I can do some more research.

Regards,

Glenn

Just a regular 5 port linksys switch. Nothing special. Tried trunk port settings and played with duplex, speed and cable type also.

Totally stumped.

However the wierd thing is, is that I am able to to plug that switch directly into a switchport on my 871W router and it works no problem without any port configuration at all. But on the 2960, it doesn't uplink.

-Brian

www.jaydien.com

Brian,

I would guess that the problem your having is a line speed negotiation problem. Without the specific models numbers of the equipment and the ports being used on the equipment for the uplink, it is just a guess.

All Linksys switches auto cross over. While this function can be disabled (on most models), it should not be an issue.

You may be plugging your Linksys into the 10/100/1000 of the 2960 which may be confusing the Linksys terribly if it is only 10/100. Try one of the 10/100 ports on your 2960 or statically set the line speeds on one or both devices, where available.

Get those model and port numbers and we will look deeper.

Thanks,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X