cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunk 3560 to SG300 with Only VLAN1 Used

CompCJtoo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.  Currently on an entire LAN VLAN1 is the only vlan configured among SG300's in a hub and spoke topology.  I'm trying to setup a trunk between a 3560 switch to the "hub" SG300 to pass data over vlan 1.  I've tried the below

SG300:

int gi14

switchport mode general

switchport default-vlan tagged

Cisco 3560

int vlan 1

ip address 192.168.200.24 255.255.255.0

int gi0/1

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk

ip default-gateway 192.168.200.10

With the above VLAN 1 shows Up/Up on the 3560, but I can't ping 192.168.200.10.  Note, the 3560 has been reset to factory defaults and I'm just trying to use the bare minimum to pass traffic.  Despite what's above, I've tried creating a vlan 2 on both, making vlan2 native between the two and still no joy.  I also tried making the connection an access port in VLAN 1 and still no joy.  What am I missing to where I can't simply use only vlan 1 between a 3560 and SG300?  Thanks.

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if another side trunk you need to configure SG also trunk port: (let us know if that works ?)

SG300:

int gi14

switch port encapsulation dot1q

switch port mode trunk

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

BB,

Hello.  When I go to int gi14 there isn't any command option available to set the encapsulation.  I just get:

access

customer

default-vlan

forbidden

general

mode

private-vlan

protected-port

trunk

If I go further with either trunk or mode, there still isn't an option to set encapsulation.

try option trunk and let us know.

BB

BB,

Hello.  I tried the switchport mode trunk on the SG300 and still no joy.  I attached the relevant config of the 3560 and SG300.  There's also some spanning-tree output in there.  I noticed despite VLAN 1 being Up/Up on the 3560, the 3560 sees itself as the root bridge. However that's not the case on any of the other SG300s that are already connected to this "hub" SG300.  I'm at a total loss.  I'm not sure if this even matters, but I've noticed on the SG300 VLAN 1 is considered the default vlan, but also voice vlan. 

this looks odd :

quick suggestion :

3650 :

interface GigabitEthernet0/1
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk allowed vlan 1
switchport mode trunk
no spanning-tree link-type point-to-point

SG

===

interface gigabitethernet14
no spanning-tree link-type point-to-point
no switchport default-vlan tagged

switchport mode trunk

switchport trunk allowed vlan add all

test and advise.

BB

BB, Hello. I tried the changes and still no luck. The spanning-tree states remained the same. I'm not at all familiar with Cisco's small business switches, but here are a few more things I noticed while trying different configs. 1. On the 3560 I created a vlan 84 and assigned it an ip address. The vlan 84 came up/up. Note, I've never created a vlan 84 on the SG300. 2. I attempted to create a vlan 2 on both switches and assign and IP address in a completely different subnet, thinking it was something weird going on with vlan 1. When I created the vlan 2 and assigned it an IP on the SG300, after saving, it overwrote the vlan 1. 3. With this last recommendation BB, I noticed if I do a show int status on the SG300, the gi14 has nothing in its row, but physically looking at the switch you'll see both green arrows lit. I'm not sure if its been any different on previous troubleshooting attempts. Also, if I show run int gi14, it'll display empty configuration.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X