Views
Helpful
Replies

Two different VLAN comminucation on the switch SG250

Cpsmbm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I would like to communicate 2 different IP block on the switch. 

Model Name : SG250-26 

GE5 : Vlan50 --> 192.168.5.1

GE6 : Vlan60 --> 192.168.6.1

Pc s connected to GE5 : 192.168.5.2

Pc s connected to GE6 : 192.168.6.2

Steps i did ; 

Created Vlans (at vlan settings under the vlan management ) Pic 1

Port vlan membership then hit the ethernet interface and join vlan (pic2, 2.2 ) 

Under IP configuration add the vlans and set up the default gateways for ports. (pic3)

I also tried to do that same way with CLI commands. 

Used some videos as references below : 

https://video.cisco.com/detail/video/5993973920001/configuring-inter-vlan-routing-on-sg250-series-switches?autoStart=true&page=1&q=router

I still have no connection between two VLANS i can ping from PC1 to second gateway (192.168.5.2 to 192.168.6.1)  but i can not ping to PC (192.168.6.2)

Does anyone know what i am missing ? 

thanks. 

8 Replies 8

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @Cpsmbm ,

Sometimes the firewall of the PC blocks the ping of external networks.
Check that the firewalls are down when you run the ping.

Regards

thanks for help Luis, I am able connect / ping in the same ip block.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Currently, your switch is  working as L2 and you have to convert it in L3 mode with help of command:

"System mode router"

Keep in mind that you will lose the existing configuration and switch will restart.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Hey Deepak ,
I couldnt type system mode router command in putty/telnet . But from Web GUI i changed ports L2 -- L3 which doesnt work. Even i can not ping default gateway as well.

I have not used a SG250 switch but I use a SG300 switch in layer 3 mode. And I am not sure what you are calling the default gateway.  There are a couple of things which come to mind is when you assign an IP to the VLAN it becomes the gateway for the VLAN.  You also need to turn on interVLAN routing if you want access to another VLAN.

Inter routing is checked. also typed in CLI mode.
default gateways id the interface/vlan IP s.

I would start with VLAN1 the default VLAN.  Try to add a PC to VLAN1 and ping the other VLANs.  Get VLAN1 pinging VLAN50 and VLAN60.  You may discover your issue.

My Sg250 doesn't work with interVLAN either and cannot be globally set to Layer3.  Not all SG250 switches support that mode command. I have a sg250-08 and the only option is to change each switch manually in VLAN Interface settings from layer 2->3.  This doesn't work to solve the inter VLan within the SG250 problem.  Nor can it be applied to all ports as then the GUI doesn't work. In short the switch is not working as it should or as advertised.  Cant say I'm impressed - thinking of sending back.

In short, I can set up VLANs on sg250 but cannot communicate between them. Have watched more videos and articles than I care to think about but no use at all. Is this a 'dud' model or are all SGn50 switches this unusable?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X