cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to create IPv4 Interface entries on SG300-20 switch

terrywpaugh
Level 1
Level 1

This is a brand new switch, set to L3 mode, and I am connected to port 5. By default, all ports have VLAN1 (management) set as their PVID and are set to trunk mode. I can connect without issue, and nothing else is connected to the switch.

I have performed a master reset (both via the web interface and by holding the reset button for 20 seconds) several times, and anytime I try to assign an IP to a VLAN on the page located at IP Configuration > IP Management and Interfaces > IPv4 Interface, I lose connectivity to the switch and it must be reset.

I make no changes to VLAN1 (management) or the port I am connected to, but the issue persists. Is my switch bad? Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dan Miley
Level 3
Level 3

hi Terry,

What is happening is, your switch has several types of IP addresses,

--static IP (you set this)

--dhcp (a server or router sets this)

--default (if neither of the other is set) 192.168.1.254.

If the sg300 or 500 device has the default IP  and you add another IP interface ( on a vlan or on a port) it will determine that static or dhcp interface is the management interface and the 'default' address will not work any more.

The workaround for this is:

When you are configuring layer 3 routing on a sg300 or 500 switch, once the switch is in l3 mode You need to:

1- give each vlan  interface a static IP  starting with vlan1.  This can be the same as the default 192.168.1.254, but I recommend picking another address in case you decide to add another switch in the future.

2- Before setting an IP on the new vlan, assign an access port to the new vlan (so you can move your workstation to that  vlan) for management if needed.  vlan management --> port vlan membership.  Once you assign the ip address, and your management interface goes away, move your pc to the port on the new vlan, give it a static, and reconnect to the new IP address.

3- use the console cable and CLI to configure the vlan interface, as the console port does not go down, or loose connectivity when configuring vlans.

Hope this helps,

Dan

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Dan Miley
Level 3
Level 3

hi Terry,

What is happening is, your switch has several types of IP addresses,

--static IP (you set this)

--dhcp (a server or router sets this)

--default (if neither of the other is set) 192.168.1.254.

If the sg300 or 500 device has the default IP  and you add another IP interface ( on a vlan or on a port) it will determine that static or dhcp interface is the management interface and the 'default' address will not work any more.

The workaround for this is:

When you are configuring layer 3 routing on a sg300 or 500 switch, once the switch is in l3 mode You need to:

1- give each vlan  interface a static IP  starting with vlan1.  This can be the same as the default 192.168.1.254, but I recommend picking another address in case you decide to add another switch in the future.

2- Before setting an IP on the new vlan, assign an access port to the new vlan (so you can move your workstation to that  vlan) for management if needed.  vlan management --> port vlan membership.  Once you assign the ip address, and your management interface goes away, move your pc to the port on the new vlan, give it a static, and reconnect to the new IP address.

3- use the console cable and CLI to configure the vlan interface, as the console port does not go down, or loose connectivity when configuring vlans.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Much appreciated, Dan.  I was able to figure this out before, but your answer was what I figured out.  LOL.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X