Replies

Unmanaged switch not working as needed at all

Laza13rus
Level 1
Level 1

SG102-24 24 port unmanaged gigaswitch

18 computers and one internet modem

followed direction basically mount connect computers turn on

I did this last night as office was empty. I hab an internet connection before I got back to my desk

Morning no one else could get access to internet

someone reset power switch

I lost my connection and only on eother person had access to internet

Three or four will be shaing a printer at some point (hopefully)

this 24 repalces a 16 port that was overlaoded work fine with one or two occassionally not getting access to internet

NOW with new switch only one connection and that changes if yoou power down and powewr up

Power does go otu often here (top of mountain storms and such)

No big deal mostly

I am at a loss as to why a Bigger unmanaged switch won't connect to the internet mind you there are a couple little "networks between limted computers that are yet to be set up like Mr X to secretary Planning Board chair to secretary all this used to work

Anyway HELP!!! if anyout there

What did or am I doing wrong

got unmangaed switch thinking simple

Keith

Small Office "volunteer IT guy"

Thanks for your consideration of this problem and any help given

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi keith,

A diagram showing the setup would be most most  useful.  The reason why i asked is you said " there are a couple little "networks between limted computers "  This brings up a Red flag to me and I would like to better understand what is connected to each port.

You mentioned that your PC lost it's connection, i am wondering when you regain your connection ?

I am also wondering if you have 4 wire CAT3 cabling in place or certified CAT5e cables in place, between the switch and the edge devices ?

Cabling here sounds like it could be a issue, especially if you went form a old 100Mb/sec switch port switch to the new 100 series GbE switch ports.

A unmanaged switch 20 port or even more will allow a single or multiple network to communicate. I prefer a managed switch if multiple IP networks are connected to a switch , with a VLAN aware WAN router, like a RV120W or SR520, SA520 ASA5505 (with Security Plus license for added vlans).  But that's my preference. :-)

You have two options, as i see it.

1.  Come back with a detailed network connectivity diagram explaining what is connected to each switch port and any interconnections between those devices, or

2.  The SG102-24  is covered by a Small Business Warranty with, i believe  90 day phone support and five year warranty, why not call in  to the small Business Support center, but still you may be asked for a network diagram to help explain the setup of computers/routers/printers at your location.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X