cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

CISCO SWITCHES FOR SMALL and MEDIUM BUSINESS

Introducing the next generation of Cisco Small and Medium Business Switches. Cisco is refreshing its SMB Switch portfolio. Click here  to learn more.

Views
Helpful
Replies
Beginner

Update old firmware on SG500-52p

I inherited this switch when I took over IT Management for my current employer. I know very little about it. Yesterday I successfully reset the cisco password via serial cable. Now that I can login to the web UI, I see the firmware is quite old. It is 1.2.0.97 - current release firmware is 1.4.2.04. I am not aware of any issues with the switch, but not sure whether I should update the firmware anyway. The last thing I need now is for the update to cause any issues as we don't have a spare switch if something goes wrong.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Contributor

I guess it depends on what

I guess it depends on what you want to do with the switch and your tolerance for risk.

If you just plan to plug it in basically default, I probably wouldn't waste time doing anything else.

If you plan to use some features then I would probably update it.  You will want to review release notes for the upgrade procedure because there is a new boot image you need to install via tftp before getting to the current firmware.

There is very little risk with updating, but as with anything there is a greater than zero chance of having some issue come up..

Good luck.

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --