Helpful
Replies

VLAN with 2 switch ESW - 520

adbemmaus
Level 1
Level 1

For test I used 2 Switch that name "ESW X" and "ESW Y"

I have 2 network that I named "Network A" and "Network B"

I build 2 VLAN for each network that named Vlan 2 for Network A and Vlan 3 for Network B, I don't use Vlan 1 because it's the default Vlan

Configuration ESW X:

port e1 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 2

port e2 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 2

port e3 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 3

port e4 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 3

port g3 : TRUNK PORT with UNTTAGGED Vlan 1(default) and TAGGED Vlan 2 and Vlan 3

Configuration ESW Y:

port e1 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 2

port e2 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 2

port e3 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 3

port e4 : ACCESS PORT on UNTTAGGED Vlan 3

port g3 : TRUNK PORT with UNTTAGGED Vlan 1(default) and TAGGED Vlan 2 and Vlan 3

I Use for test 2 computer with the same IP class adress.

Test Result :

Communication between ESW X e1 and ESW x e2 =>OK

Communication between ESW X e3 and ESW x e4 =>OK

Communication between ESW Y e1 and ESW Y e2 =>OK

Communication between ESW Y e3 and ESW Y e4 =>OK

Communication between ESW X e1 and ESW Y e1 or e2 =>NOK

Communication between ESW X e2 and ESW Y e1 or e2 =>NOK

Communication between ESW X e3 and ESW Y e3 or e4 =>NOK

Communication between ESW X e4 and ESW Y e3 or e4 =>NOK

Each Vlan can't communicate between the two switch, I think they're a problem in my vlan/port configuration, can you help me.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Thibaud,

Thank you for the purchase of the ESW switches.

Just out of interest, are you using the latest  firmware on your ESW switch version 2.1.19 

But you sure sound like you have a great understanding of Tagged and untagged VLANs  from you posting description..great stuff.

I just tried your configuration, I can communicate between ESW540-24P switch and a SF300-48P switch.

Sorry,  I don't have two ESW switches handy. But it should not matter. Standards based  Ethernet is hopefully just standards based ethernet

My vlan configuration below for my ESW540-24P,  and it's working just fine.

I  just connected switch ports 24 between the two switches together, that's why port 24 is tagged in each of the screen shots below.

I would really really doubt you would have a problem, unless there is something fundimental or basic you have done such as not saving the running configuration to the startup configuration.  Obviously not backing up tjhe configuration before a power down will kill the configuration.

( saved your configuration within each switch)

Here is a copy of a section of my switch running  configuration, that resulted from me playing with the ESW configuration utility.

(note that my switch has all Gigabit ethernet ports;)

interface range ethernet g(1-2)

switchport trunk native vlan 2

exit

interface ethernet g24

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 2

exit

interface range ethernet g(3-4)

switchport trunk native vlan 3

exit

interface ethernet g24

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 3

exit

If you are still having issue, here is the contact URL  for the Small Business Support Center, maybe a fresh set of eyes can spot the issue;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Thibaud,

Thank you for the purchase of the ESW switches.

Just out of interest, are you using the latest  firmware on your ESW switch version 2.1.19 

But you sure sound like you have a great understanding of Tagged and untagged VLANs  from you posting description..great stuff.

I just tried your configuration, I can communicate between ESW540-24P switch and a SF300-48P switch.

Sorry,  I don't have two ESW switches handy. But it should not matter. Standards based  Ethernet is hopefully just standards based ethernet

My vlan configuration below for my ESW540-24P,  and it's working just fine.

I  just connected switch ports 24 between the two switches together, that's why port 24 is tagged in each of the screen shots below.

I would really really doubt you would have a problem, unless there is something fundimental or basic you have done such as not saving the running configuration to the startup configuration.  Obviously not backing up tjhe configuration before a power down will kill the configuration.

( saved your configuration within each switch)

Here is a copy of a section of my switch running  configuration, that resulted from me playing with the ESW configuration utility.

(note that my switch has all Gigabit ethernet ports;)

interface range ethernet g(1-2)

switchport trunk native vlan 2

exit

interface ethernet g24

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 2

exit

interface range ethernet g(3-4)

switchport trunk native vlan 3

exit

interface ethernet g24

switchport trunk allowed vlan add 3

exit

If you are still having issue, here is the contact URL  for the Small Business Support Center, maybe a fresh set of eyes can spot the issue;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

Thanks Dave,

I make the Upgrade from 2.1.16 to 2.1.19 and now the communication between the 2 switch work, I don't know why because I've maked no change from my configuration.

Now my new challenge is to a Catalyst 3750 in my network.

Regards Thibaud

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X