Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANS Between SGE2010s and SLM2024 via Fiber

mbargman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi folks,

I  am new to the whole VLAN thing, so excuse my ignorance. I have  successfully set up a VLAN on my primary switch which is an SGE2010. I  have 3 other switches is other buildings connected in series. The next  in line is another SGE2010 and then a SLM2024 and an SGE2010. Each are  connected with Fiber and I'm not sure how to set up the switches so that  the router controlling VLAN 2 will push IP addresses to the clients on  that VLAN and allow internet access. We're using it as a guest VLAN for  our customers to have internet access. I have those GBIC ports set up as  trunks right now except for the SLM2024...I'm not quite sure how to set  that up. The VLAN is set up on each switch exactly the same though. Any  help or advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

1 Reply 1

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Mike,

The SGE2010 is a very cost effective 48 port VLANable switch that is in stacking mode by default.

The fiber uplinks will be in stacking mode by default , so the switch should either be used in a stack or you disable the stacking functionality via the console or telnet screen.

The default VLAN with a VLAN ID of 1 will always be added to all ports by default   as an untagged member of all ports.

Now this is where you have to work in the bridging section of the GUI to configure the port to VLAN functionality.

If you want VLANs to be propogated over a fiber or copper connection between switches,  these fiber or copper  ports should be tagged for these extra VLANs.  Let me see if I can grab a GUI screen capture for your reference, a picture is worth a thousand words.

I have only a SGE2000P, a 24 port version of your switch , so port 24 is one of my uplink ports.

I had already set my switch in standalone mode via the console or telnet port, mine is in layer 3 mode as well, but this mode is not necessary for your application.

After you make a change to  the switch, it will reset to factory defaults and any configuration you have configured will be lost.

I then created a vlan with a VID=100  on my switch, this step can be done for many vlans. 

I then altered by uplink port from access mode to trunk mode . 

This allows for multiple VLANs to be propogated to the next switch.

NOTE: But check the help button for explaination of the options on the GUI page.

So,  I then tagged my added Vlan , VLAN100 so it was a tagged member of switch port 24.

This will allow ethernet frames within VLAN 100 to be propogated out to the next switch in the fiber run.

I wanted switch port 10 to be a untagged member of vlan 100, as you can see from the screen capture below. My intention was to make a PC part of VLAN 100.

I did this , by selecting  100  clicked untagged radio button,  and then applied that change,

The PC attached to this port , like most PC's are not VLAN aware, so I had to make switch port 10 a untagged member of vlan 10.

make sure when you have configured the switches, that you save the options, with the following command.

The SLM should be very very similar in the way it is configured, but the theory is identical.  Ports must be in trunk mode to allow for more than one VLAN to propogate between switches. 

Ports could stay in access mode if all you want to do is untag it in one vlan.

Have fun , give it a try, you will learn heaps from this exercise.  Took me longer to respond to this posting that actually do the hard work

regards Dave

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X