cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on Lan Problem inside Network (Vlans) SX550X-24 24-Port 10GBase

safi_azimi65
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having problems with Wake on Lan inside our Network : Our Distribution layer switches are "SX550X-24 24-Port 10GBase-T Stackable Managed Switch" and it is directly connected to the Coreswitch
and our access layer switches are "SG350X-48MP 48-Port Gigabit Stackable Managed Switch"

The Wake on lan Server is in different Vlan and different Subnet as the Clients .
inside one Subnet seems to be working but When i try to test it with a different subnet inside our Network it is not working and the PC cannot be switched on remotely with Wake on Lan.

for Information :

Wake on Lan Server is in Vlan 100 in Distribution 1 and
clients are in vlan 101 in Distribution 9 and 10

Does anyone experienced simmilar issue?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

safi_azimi65
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Mr. Burt for your reply and sorry for the delay in my reply because i was on Vacation. after configuring the command that i pasted in below . it seems to be working  normaly on our Network without using "Ip helper" command . we used  on every  ip interfaces "Gateway" that the Clients and Server were  "directed-broadcast" command all over the Network on layer 3 switches.

"Server"

interface ip 10.16.195.254
directed-broadcast
exit

"Clients"
interface ip 10.16.199.254
directed-broadcast
exit

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is interesting that it seems to be working in one subnet but not in another subnet. You indicate that vlan 101 is not working. Which vlan is the one that is working?

For Wake On LAN you would typically need to configure ip helper-address in the vlan interface of the vlan where the server is located. And depending on what type of IP packet is generated by the server you may need to add the protocol port of the wake packet to the list of forwarded protocols. And you would typically need to configure the vlan interface of the receiving subnet to allow forwarding of broadcast packets. Can you share with us the configuration of the vlan interfaces for vlans 100 and 101?

HTH

Rick

safi_azimi65
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Mr. Burt for your reply and sorry for the delay in my reply because i was on Vacation. after configuring the command that i pasted in below . it seems to be working  normaly on our Network without using "Ip helper" command . we used  on every  ip interfaces "Gateway" that the Clients and Server were  "directed-broadcast" command all over the Network on layer 3 switches.

"Server"

interface ip 10.16.195.254
directed-broadcast
exit

"Clients"
interface ip 10.16.199.254
directed-broadcast
exit

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X