cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is needed & How to wire switches for stacking

RicHausfeld
Level 1
Level 1

We had a SGE-2010, just purchased 2 (two) SGE-2010P. I want to stack the switches (all 3) (unless there is a better way). Not sure what is needed hardware wise, and how to physically wire the switches. Had switches years ago (diff brand) that used a special cable that connected the switches. It seems that is not the case here. I have not used fiber in networking before so I am new to that part, I’m willing to learn, just need pointed in the right direction.

Details:

The switches will all be in one rack.

Currently we use 100/1000Base-T to all the computers / servers.

Currently 1 switch (2 nd one just died) is connected to the SGE-2010 (LAG over two ports)

Currently 5 servers are connected to the SGE-2010 (LAG over two ports each).

A bunch of individual computers where thrown onto the SGE-2010 when the other switch died.

All the servers and computers are on 1 big happy LAN, all the computers need to access all the servers. No need to separate things.

Side Note:

Will be moving to new building in about a year. MIGHT have VOIP, so I might need to add another switch or two.

Questions:

Can all three switches be stacked, (1) SGE-2010 & (2) SGE-2010P?

I THINK I need to use the GBIC port 4 to stack, I understand 1 port is enough if two switches are used, but what about three or more switches.

What are the other GBIC ports used for?

Will I be better off (can I ) use the GBIC ports LAG (2 ports) to the other switches? Or would regular ports work just as well?

Thanks for you help

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Ric,

Thank you for posting. Please see the following diagram that demonstrates how to stack 3 switches:

View solution in original post

Ric,

Using the regular ports should give the same performance. As far as I know you can stack the SGE2010P with the SGE2010 without issue.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Ric,

Look over the admin guide and repost further questions:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/csbms/sfe2000/administration/guide/SFE-SGE2xxx_Admin_Guide.pdf

Page 20

Jasbryan

Jasbryan, thanks for the link. I have read most of Chapter 2 in the Administration guide before I posted here. I re-read page 20 (also page 19&21 just in case). I must be brain dead I don't see anywhere on page #20, or the rest of the chapter, pertaining to my questions.

Hi Ric,

Thank you for posting. Please see the following diagram that demonstrates how to stack 3 switches:

Mpyhala, thanks for the diagram. I take it that I do NOT have to use the GBIC ports? Glanced back over the Admin Guide, did not see where it said I HAD to use the GBIC ports, but I have it in my head that I do have to use them to stack for some reason.

Will using the regular ports 24 & 48 give the same performance as using GBIC port 3 & 4?

Have not heard anyone complain about mixing SGE2010 & SGE2010P in one stack so I’m going to say it is OK. Personally I do not see why not, other than watching where I plug in an item that needs power.

Ric,

Using the regular ports should give the same performance. As far as I know you can stack the SGE2010P with the SGE2010 without issue.

Ric,

Usually customer use the mini-gbic modules for switches that have distance of 300' + between each other.

The end copper ports are shared with two mini-gbic ports that also can be used with the stack mode.

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X