cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What traffice is carried over SGE2010 stack link?

ConniesPizza
Level 1
Level 1

I have several SGE2010P switches connected in a stack. They are working fine as a stack.

Question is - what traffic, besides stack control, is carried over the stacking links?

All unused ports are VLAN 1U. Ports in use belong to VLANs 100, 101, and 105.

Since I cannot configure or see the stacking ports, I am unclear if any non-default VLAN traffic passes over those links between switches?

Any insight or advice appreciated.

Thanks.

John,

1 Reply 1

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello John ITS,

Each switch in the stack (Commander and Members) uses the Primary VLAN configured in that switch for stack links. In the factory-default configuration, the default VLAN is the Primary VLAN. All switches in the stack need to be interconnected through the Primary VLAN.

The VLAN ID for the Primary VLAN must be the same for all switches in the stack. The Primary VLAN name can differ among switches in the stack. For example, if the VLAN ID (VID) for the Primary VLAN in Switch A is "1" and the VID for the Primary VLAN in Commander Switch B is "5", then Switch A can't be a Candidate or a Member of Commander Switch B's stack, even though you may have connectivity to Switch A from Commander Switch B through other tagged VLANs.

If the Primary VLAN is untagged, then all switches that have the Primary VLAN untagged on a port providing a stacking link are eligible to be in the stack (if stacking is enabled on the switches).

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you