cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where can I find online simulator for SG-500-52 and Catalyst 2960

jacobslive
Level 1
Level 1

What is the link for selecting cisco online simulator for different products / switches? I have found couple of links for SG-300 and SG-200 series switches. I want to try online simulator for SG-500 and Catalys 2960 series. Are they available, if so where can I find them?

Thank you very much in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Jacob,

Stephanie is correct, all the Cisco Small Business emulators are available here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/911/cisco-small-business-online-device-emulators

There isn't an emulator for the 500 specifically, except for a very out of date CLI emulator that I don't recommend using.  The 300 series emulator is very similar, since they share most of the same features so you can take a look at that to get a feel for. 

However, those emulators are also a few firmware versions back, so not all of the new features are listed in the emulator (a big one being the DHCP server we added to the layer 3 switches, along with a few minor GUI changes and lots of little feature additions) but it will give you a good idea of what to expect from the interface.

I would also recommend looking over the Datasheet and the Admin Guide for the 500s, they are updated more frequently (usually with every firmware version) and do contain the new features.

As for the 2960 there aren't any emulators available as far as I know, IOS is a bit more complicated to emulate, however there is a huge amount of documentation on IOS configuration and it tends to be the same for most Catalysts, so just Google what you are looking for and Cisco will probably have documentation and excellent examples of the commands available on the Catalysts.  Just keep in mind the Small Business switches do not use IOS, so don't necessarily have the same features, but a lot of the CLI commands are the same, or very similar.

Hope that helps and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

streaves
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I believe all the available emulators are here: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/911/cisco-small-business-online-device-emulators. Your feedback will help us get the resources to develop more.

Thanks for your post.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Partner Marketing

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Jacob,

Stephanie is correct, all the Cisco Small Business emulators are available here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/911/cisco-small-business-online-device-emulators

There isn't an emulator for the 500 specifically, except for a very out of date CLI emulator that I don't recommend using.  The 300 series emulator is very similar, since they share most of the same features so you can take a look at that to get a feel for. 

However, those emulators are also a few firmware versions back, so not all of the new features are listed in the emulator (a big one being the DHCP server we added to the layer 3 switches, along with a few minor GUI changes and lots of little feature additions) but it will give you a good idea of what to expect from the interface.

I would also recommend looking over the Datasheet and the Admin Guide for the 500s, they are updated more frequently (usually with every firmware version) and do contain the new features.

As for the 2960 there aren't any emulators available as far as I know, IOS is a bit more complicated to emulate, however there is a huge amount of documentation on IOS configuration and it tends to be the same for most Catalysts, so just Google what you are looking for and Cisco will probably have documentation and excellent examples of the commands available on the Catalysts.  Just keep in mind the Small Business switches do not use IOS, so don't necessarily have the same features, but a lot of the CLI commands are the same, or very similar.

Hope that helps and thank you for choosing Cisco,

Christopher Ebert - Advanced Network Support Engineer

Cisco Small Business Support Center

*please rate helpful posts*

As this is one of the first google results for "online simulator cisco small business switch", I wanted to update this old post with the new URL:
https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/small-business-online-device/bd-p/911-discussions-online-device-emulators

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X