cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Where is the 300 series switch with 48 gigabit ports and PoE?

rwillman483
Level 1
Level 1

Love the 300 series but surprised that Cisco did not put out a 48 port model with gigabit and PoE.  Would love to hear from Cisco on the reasoning behind that and if there are any plans to introduce one?  Given that gigabit and VoIP is the future at many companies it only makes sense.

17 Replies 17

mlemmo
Level 1
Level 1

As important IMHO is adding Gigabit Ethernet (GbE) controllers to SPA500 series phones, at least the SPA525 to start...

That seems to be a common theme among all VoIP manufacturers and I'm not sure why.  10/100 is the norm unless you want to spend quite a bit more for gigabit.  I can't believe the chipset actually costs that much more since gigabit is pretty much standard on even the cheapest devices.

johuggin
Level 1
Level 1

As far as the 300 series go; unfortunately, you're right. The ESW 500 series doesn't have a model with both 48 ports and PoE either, as it turns out.

You may want to check out the SGE2010P if you're willing to browse outside the 300 series. This is a 48-port small business switch with PoE. Here's the product page on Cisco.com:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9985/index.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The "cheapest" 48-port, GigabitEthernet and PoE is the Catalyst 2960S.

Jack Germanos
Level 1
Level 1

It seems Cisco forgot to make one in the SG300 range.. It's a shame they missed it more reason to stack em and spend double

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

I can't believe the chipset actually costs that much more since gigabit is pretty much standard on even the cheapest devices.

Getting a chipset to push Gigabit and a chipset to push MORE THAN 100 Mbps are two different things.  Alot of 1Gbps switches can auto negotiate to 1Gbps/Full Duplex but pushing 1Gbps per interface and, say, all 48-ports is another story altogether.

I don't speak for Cisco ESW BU but there's now a thin line between the features of Small Business Switches vs a Catalyst-level switches.   For example, the 2960S Business Unit (BU) will never allow the ESW BU to have a switch, for example, that will do 48-port GigabitEthernet plus PoE+ plus stacking.  Otherwise, every-man-and-his-monkey will dump their intent to purchase the 2960S in favour of the ESW switches.

leolaohoo, you are talking about switches and I was talking about endpoint devices.  I agree with you on the chipset for switches though.

The SGE2010P is a small business switch with 48 port gigabit PoE and stackable.

The SGE2010P is a small business switch with 48 port gigabit PoE and stackable.

Thanks for this.  Didn't know about this product.  Then again, I'm a newbie to the Linksys/Small Business line.

Had a look because I got puzzled and here are some of the "gotchas":

1.  "maximum per-device PoE delivery of 360W available for all ports"

Comment:  23-ports (out of 48-ports) of 15.4w PoE or you can have 48-ports at 7.5w PoE and WON'T support PoE+;

2.  "Resilient clustering provides the ability to manage several switches as a single switch to support growing businesses"

Comment:  Nuts.  This is clustering.  Not "stacking".  They are two different world.  This is an "old" technology to the current stacking technology being used by the 2960S and 3750-series family of switches.

Sorry.  Not here to have an open debate to the merits but I'm just pointing things out to future people who stumbles upon this page.

In one occasion, to do a courtesy to a friend, I had to work with SGE switches. Let's say I was "less than impressed" and would rather not to get into more details also considering the venue where this discussion is hosted.

I would recommend the 2960 of any form and fashion, without the slightest doubt.

johuggin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

In case you haven't seen them yet, Cisco has come out with a new line of stackable (not just clustering ), managed small business switches:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/500_series_switches/index.html-tab-Models

The SG500-52P and the SG500X-48P both have 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet with PoE (The 'X' supports a 10Gig SFP, the non-'X' supports a 5Gig SFP).

Hope this helps or at least provides some options!

Joey

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/500_series_switches/index.html-tab-Models

Hi Joey,

I think this link is incorrect.

I believe it should be:  http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/500_series_switches/index.html

Impressive lineup.  What is the backplane of the stacking?

The up/down link between stacked units can be 1G,5G or 10G. The base model supports the 1G and 5G while the the SG500X provides the 10G. On the Data Sheet you can see the list of compatible SFP/SFP+ modules.

The up/down link between stacked units can be 1G,5G or 10G.

So let me get this straight:  The stacking technology has three speeds?

The SG500X models do support three speeds. The base models have 1Gig/5Gig (Copper/SFP) combo, while the SG500X models have the extra 10Gig SFP slots for those who require the extra speed. However, note that these 10Gig SFPs are not exclusively for stacking.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X