cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why doesn't my SLM2008 switch recognize my Cisco AP1262-n-a-k9 devices?

Acadieux99
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Both the SLM2008 switch, and the AP1262n-a-k9 are currently at factory defaults.

I can web into the switch from my laptop, but when I connect one of the 4 AP's I am trying to set up, the switch doesn't see it.

Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Thank you,

Armand

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Armand,

AP is the Enterprise level and switch is actually Small Business.  You normally do not mix two levels.  But..

To clarify what I was referring above, this switch is 10/100/1000 Mbps, full duplex, auto negotiation.  The port settings can be changed manually.  So, I would suggest to login to the switch and to AP and verify that ports on both of them are matching in configuration.  If you have 1000Mbps on the switch then make sure that it is matching on AP, if you have auto negotiation enable on one, then make sure that it is enabled on the other as well.  You can try also to disable auto negotiation on both of them to see if that helps.  Make sure that if one full duplex then the other is also.   Basically, if the settings do not match, then they will not negotiate a link between them and that seems like what is happening.

Hope that is a bit more clear.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

Cisco Small Business Engineer

CCNA

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

alepatte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Armand,

Thank you for contacting Cisco Small Business forum.

One thing I would like to suggest is to make sure that that port on the switch and on AP are matched in their configuration.

Seems they do not negotiate a link between them.  Let mw know if that helps.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

CCNA

Hi Alena

Coud you please clarify what you mean by the switch and AP ports matching?

Something new we just tried was plugging one of the AP's into a a Cisco SD2005 switch, (a less intelligent switch, of course), but it did detect the AP right away.

Before we reverted back to, "factory defaults" on both the SLM2008 and the AP1262, they were configured with IP adresses of 10.0.10.226 for the switch, and 10.0.10.220 for the AP using a class C subnet of 255.255.255.0

The switch still did not recognize the AP when we connected it.

**We had the AP on a different switch to obtain an IP address from the DHCP server, so we could then configure it with the above settings, and then tried connecting it to the SLM2008 switch**

I have three other SLM2008 switches and three other AP1262n-a-k9 devices, and all are giving me the same problem.

Is it possible this switch is not compatible with the AP?

I didn't find any documentation anywhere that relates to that.

My guess is it's an end user issue, (me, of course) and I'm missing something on the setup of one, or both of these devices.

Sincerely,

Armand

Hi Armand,

AP is the Enterprise level and switch is actually Small Business.  You normally do not mix two levels.  But..

To clarify what I was referring above, this switch is 10/100/1000 Mbps, full duplex, auto negotiation.  The port settings can be changed manually.  So, I would suggest to login to the switch and to AP and verify that ports on both of them are matching in configuration.  If you have 1000Mbps on the switch then make sure that it is matching on AP, if you have auto negotiation enable on one, then make sure that it is enabled on the other as well.  You can try also to disable auto negotiation on both of them to see if that helps.  Make sure that if one full duplex then the other is also.   Basically, if the settings do not match, then they will not negotiate a link between them and that seems like what is happening.

Hope that is a bit more clear.

Sincerely,

Alena Patterson

CCNA

Hi Alena,

And there you have it.

The ports on the switch are set for Auto negotiation which is the default, and for some reason will not work in that mode.

I changed Port1 to Full/100 on the switch and when I connected the AP to that port, it saw it right away, so at this point I think we're good to go.

Thank you so much Alena for your quick response, and for all of your help on this issue.

Sincerely,

Armand Cadieux

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X