cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why doesn't the SLM2024 Smart Switch 10/100/1000 support 10M?

itchoice9705
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Since a couple of weeks I have installed 5 SLM2024 Gig Smart Switches. Now we have a new Time Attendance System that tries to communicate to the Cisco with 10M. The Cisco identifies it correctly but will not parse any info to the Device. Why is that?

Test it with a D-Link 10/100 Switch -> OK

Test with a Cisco 10/100 Switch -> OK

Test with noname 10/100/1000 Switch -> OK

Test with SLM2024 -> Failed.

I would love for someone to explain this to me. What does the Cisco do? I would gather that if a Switch is 10/100/1000 it can communicate over anyone.

Anybody?

Regards,

Richard

4 Replies 4

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

Hi richard,

You are suggesting that the SLM2024 is connecting to the time attendance system but no traffic passes to the switch.

Questions I have are;

1. What speed and duplex did the SLM2024 sync with the time attendance device ?

2,  What does the switch port counters show for that switch port that is connected to the time attendance device ?

lots of transmit packets, lots or receive packets......maybe paste the screen capture here

3.  Are you sure your SLM switch is using the most current software available to it ?

4.  Have you approached the time attendance system folks to figure if you need a software upgrade to the time attendance system?

I would suggest that if you have any trouble with 1-3  why not call the small business support center (SBSC) and ask for assistance.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

regards Dave

Q. What speed and duplex did the SLM2024 sync with the time attendance device ?

A. 10M Half or Full does not make a difference. I have also tried 100M Half and Full. Auto Neg. does also not work.

Q. What does the switch port counters show for that switch port that is connected to the time attendance device ?

lots of transmit packets, lots or receive packets......maybe paste the screen capture here

A.

A.

Q. Are you sure your SLM switch is using the most current software available to it ?

A. Yes it is.

Q. Have you approached the time attendance system folks to figure if you need a software upgrade to the time attendance system?

A. Yes,I do not need a upgrade since I have the latest version. It works with all other switches except SLM2024. ( Quote )

Hi Richard,

I would definitely expect to be receiving broadcast packets, maybe ARP packets  from the time attendance advice.

Yep that is a problem.

But, why are you not receiving broadcast packets on the port that is connected to the time attendance device.hmm that my question that I am mulling in the back of my mind.  Your switch port statistics showed an issue.

Packet capture

A wireshark or packet trace would be most useful , so mirroring the time attendance switch  port to your PC's switch port would be useful.  This would allow us to see what is coming in and out of that switch port.

Pretty easy to setup on this managed switch, see my screen capture below as an example.

Wireshark is a wonderful freeware 'sniffer' software  that would allow us to see the ethernet frames coming in and out of the switch port in question.

to grab wireshark try the following URL;   http://www.wireshark.org/download.html

Don't need much data just a 30 second capture and remember to undo the mirroring and save changes  after the capture is taken.

MAC address Table

Be interesting to see the dynamic MAC address table to see the MAC address of the time attendance device.

Might be most intersting to add a static arp entry for the time attendance device, MAP it's MAC address to a switch port.

(This is only necessary if there isn't a dynamic ARP entry, MAC address of the time attendance device on the switch port.)

see my screen capture below, you will also note, that underneath the static address is a option to look at the dynamic address.

Switch port Status and Error log

But could be most useful to see the setting for that switch port similar to the two following screen captures.

lastly the log is informative as it might indicate what or where the error is.

David

Hi David,

I have attached files with Wireshark logs and Screenshots.

What was most interesting was that the Cisco did not accept my Time Att. MAC.

Have a look at the logs and tell me what you think.

Thx for all your help.

Richard

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X