cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA8800 password recovery

craigshawm6
Level 1
Level 1

In a mobile command vehicle we have on site, there is a Cisco SPA8800 installed. The engineer who installed it long ago left and took the login information with him. Seeing as we have no configurations, or any information on how this device is working, we do not want to factory reset it. I've tried searching the www, but cannot find the password recovery procedure for this device. We do not have support on it at this time either. So even before we think about replacing it with something newer, we need to get into it and get the configs off it. 

So does anyone know the password recovery for this device? 

7 Replies 7

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Reset to factory default is the only password recovery procedure for this device. Configuration will be lost and needs to be recreated. Your new engineer will do it for you. He need to know who's your VoIP provider (you are paying bills to them) and it's "How to configre ..." documentation (VoIP service provider will send you a copy).

By the way, I know no other 4xFXS+4xFXO ATA gateway available - even from another vendor.

I am the new engineer... Hence the question..  lol     the spa8800 is being fed uplinks from a cellular modem and a satellite modem through an asa5505.  It is a mobile command center vehicle for an airport police department. There was some recent electrical work on the vehicle itself and the phones stopped working. It has been in production for quite a few years, while only really being used once or twice a year. We are currently unsure if the power maintenance damaged the Cisco gear, wiped out the configs, or the Panasonic phone gear. The engineer who installed it all years ago, no longer works here and did not leave any type of paper trail as to configs, passwords, or anything. We were hoping to get into the gear without a factory reset as neither I, nor the other senior engineer here are telephony experts. lol   The firewall is controlled by the law enforcement (clemis) as it controls access to law enforcement/criminal justice information. So we are focusing the network teams troubleshooting to the SPA8800 as that and the switch it is connected to are the only things that fall into our domain. 

the spa8800 is being fed uplinks from a cellular modem and a satellite modem through an asa5505

There was some recent electrical work on the vehicle itself and the phones stopped working. fall into our domain. 

It should be analyzed step by step.

Is the IP connection working - e.g. can you communicate from in-car LAN outside ?

Is SPA8800 network configuration correct ? Can you ping it from in-car LAN ?

Is SPA8800 registered to VoIP provider ? Such information is available (among others) on WWW status page of SPA8800 - it's available even with no login credentials entered. If it's not registered - capture SIP packets, identify where the SPA8800 is trying to register and SIP responses to registration request. Ask your VoIP provider for help if registration requests triggers and error response.

Note - starting from this Friday I will have no access to internet for two weeks. So I will be unable to guide you step by step. You will be on your own. Sorry.

Well DHCP that is provided from the SPA8800 is working. Plugging into the AUX port gives me a management address with access to the GUI, but obviously no working credentials. Plugging into the connected switch gives us a user IP address. I actually believe the issue lies within the phone system itself. As in the Panasonic switch device. The cellular system is dual homed (AT&T and Verizon) to add to the redundancy of the satellite connection. Yes, it's a when SHTF vehicle. lol      However, beyond the troubleshooting the current phone issue, we need to be able to support this vehicle in the future, once it is functional again. So that's why I was hoping to find a way into the devices without a factory reset, so we can obtain the current configs. That is not looking like an option though. 

As far as outside communication goes, next time I get over to it, I will connect back in and see about outside traffic. It is a standalone system with it's own public IPs and I can only troubleshoot by going and sitting in the vehicle itself. Hopefully later today. 

So in the realm of the SPA8800, what does it exactly do? Does it act as a call manager? Is it just a protocol converter? 

Edit: looks like the Panasonic KX-TA824 is acting as the call manager/phone controller. So what does the 8800 actually do? 

You are asking us ? It's customized car. We don't know the topology of internal electronics. You even didn't disclosed what devices are connected to SPA8800 (and port number of each connected device).

Well, as a blind shot - SPA8800 is used as POTS (analog) <-> SIP converted. It's protocol convertor

No way to recover access without reset to factory default. But you wish to support vehicle in the future - it mean you need to understood the network topology, you need to know who's your VoIP provider and how the gateway needs to be configured to connect to it. With those information you need no current configuration, as you will be able to recreate it from scratch. Even if you will replace SPA8800 with something else, you need those information to configure such device.

In short, you just need to know how it works - at IP level as well as VoIP level.

OK, to seems you know the network topology, so you know how to configure SPA8800 at the IP level.

Now you need to discover VoIP parameters. You need to know who's your VoIP provider. As you are paying bills to them, you know who is it.  Call support and ask for "How to configure VoiP client" white paper.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: