Views
Helpful
Replies

Aironet 1242 cant access webGui, telnet and cant reset

Hegelsom
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
First of all, i hope this is the right place to ask my question.

I have a problem with a Aironet 1242 (1240 series) device.
The device is PoE and when i boot it receives an IP address from DHCP server. So far so good. The aironet is not connected to the internet.

The network looks as follows:
Aironet --> PoE box --> switch <-- DHCP server | and my laptop is connected to the switch as well.
As far as i know, it is not necessary that the aironet is connected to the internet (correct me if i'm wrong). Also i disconnected the antenna's, just keep everything as simple as possible.

The situation is as follows:
1. The aironet boots up
2.1 When no cables are attached (except PoE), after some time the status led blinks orange ( i cant find the proper code in the manual) and the radio led is solid red and the ethernet led is off
2.2 When cables are attached (and the device get IP from DHCP) the status led blinks amber-->green-->red ( i cant find the proper code for this one neither) radio led is red and the ethernet led is green

3. When connection is made with switch (2.2) i can ping the device (i am sure it is the aironet)
4. When i try to open the web-gui (type the ip of the aironet that replies to ping, in the browser http://ip-of-aironet and https://ip-of-aironet) i get a 404 page
5. When i try to telnet the aironet with for example putty, i get a: password required but none set message
6. When i try to ssh the aironet with for example putty, i get the message: connection refused
7. I do have a console cable, but no converter from DB9 to RJ45. So i havnt tried this yet.

Reset
I try to reset the aironet to default settings by holding the mode button, remove PoE, attach PoE and keep mode button pressed the whole time. It just doesnt solve my problem and i am not sure if the reset procedure even works as i cant see any messages or information from the aironet. The only thing i know for sure is that the LEDs have a lot of colors ;)

I did read the manual document from cisco and followed the reset procedure by using the mode button (as explained above).

I hope someone can help me, i tried whole weekend to solve this problem but everything i do simple wont work.
All advice is welcome and if any information is needed; feel free to ask of course

Cheers!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

AP is loaded with controller-based IOS (RCV). This is why the GUI won't work and you can't configure the AP using CLI.
You'll need to convert the AP from CAPWAP to autonomous IOS. 

Read this:  Reverting to a Previous Release Using the MODE Button and a TFTP Server

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Console into the AP and post the complete output to the command "sh version".

Hallo,
Thank you for your reply and sorry for my late response, i first had to buy a console cable.
The answer on your question is:

AP6400.f1e2.501e>sh version
Cisco IOS Software, C1240 Software (C1240-RCVK9W8-M), Version 12.4(21a)JA2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Mon 02-Nov-09 18:40 by prod_rel_team

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1240 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C1240 Boot Loader (C1240-BOOT-M) Version 12.4(13d)JA, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

AP6400.f1e2.501e uptime is 6 hours, 6 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx/c1240-rcvk9w8-mx"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.
--More--
*Apr 26 04:53:35.939: %CAPWAP-3-ERRORLOG: Not sending discovery request AP does not have
A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

cisco AIR-LAP1242G-E-K9 (PowerPCElvis) processor (revision A0) with 24566K/8192K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ15188023
PowerPCElvis CPU at 262Mhz, revision number 0x0950
Last reset from power-on
LWAPP image version 3.0.51.0
1 FastEthernet interface

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 64:00:F1:E2:50:1E
Part Number : 73-11479-01
PCA Assembly Number : 800-30493-01
PCA Revision Number : A0
PCB Serial Number : FOC15120GLF
Top Assembly Part Number : 800-29589-03
Top Assembly Serial Number : FCZ15188023
Top Revision Number : A0
Product/Model Number : AIR-LAP1242G-E-K9

Configuration register is 0xF

AP6400.f1e2.501e>

I found out that there is a "secret password"configured on the Aironet. I tried several guides to remove it but it didnt work so far. So i cant enter the access to privileged mode
I hope someone can help me further. I am glad already that i can access the Aironet device via telnet. 

AP is loaded with controller-based IOS (RCV). This is why the GUI won't work and you can't configure the AP using CLI.
You'll need to convert the AP from CAPWAP to autonomous IOS. 

Read this:  Reverting to a Previous Release Using the MODE Button and a TFTP Server

Dear Leo Laohoo,

Thank you for you reply. I followed the steps in the link you gave me pointed me in the right direction. After some more google searches the problem is solved. I now can enter the webgui and i reinstalled the entire OS. I did use the c1240-k9w7-tar image instead of the c1240-k9w8-tar image. 

For everyone else that has the same problem: 
https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-mobility-documents/how-to-upload-an-image-on-an-ap-where-the-image-has-been-erased/ta-p/3131793

Step 1          The PC you intend to use must be configured with a static IP address in the range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.30.

Step 2          Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1100-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA.tar for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated. For additional information, refer to the "Obtaining the Access Point Image File" and "Obtaining TFTP Server Software" sections.

Step 3          Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1100-k9w7-tar.default for an 1100 series access point or c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point.

Step 4          Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 5          Disconnect power (the power jack for external power or the Ethernet cable for in-line power) from the access point.

Step 6          Press and hold the MODE button while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 7          Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds), and release the MODE button.

Step 8          Wait until the access point reboots as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 9          After the access point reboots, you must reconfigure the access point by using the Web-browser interface or the CLI.

Thanks again for your reply, and i can tell you that learned a lot during this.