cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Airplay across 541N(s)?

tsvywamrto
Level 1
Level 1

I know Airplay isn't meant to be done across vlans, but surely it should work with things on the same vlan.

The 541N's are clustered and have WDS enabled. The wireless VAP's are on the same VLAN, and intervlan routing works.

Airplay works if the iDevice and the Apple TV are connected to the same access point, but not across the network.

Any thoughts?

1 Reply 1

tsvywamrto
Level 1
Level 1

I found the solution.

Clustering and WDS have no affect on this. However, when I turned WDS on, it caused ports to flap and flood my network with packets and slowed everything down. So I turned it off. WDS will be my next step.                                       

This is for 541N's that are only broadcasting ONE SSID.

On the 541N, the ssid MUST be on the same vlan as the Apple TV. The UNTAGGED vlan MUST be the same vlan as your Apple TV.

For 541N's that are broadcasting TWO SSID's on DIFFERENT VLANS, the untagged vlans MUST BE DISABLED.

FOR 541N'S BROADCASTING ONE SSID

The 541N has an address of 10.0.2.3/24 on vlan 20.

541N with one SSID Config:

541N with one SSID Wireless Config:

THE SWITCH MUST BE CONFIGURED AS FOLLOWS! (This is a 2960WS switch):

switchport trunk native vlan 20

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20

switchport mode trunk

FOR 541N'S BROADCASTING MULTIPLE SSID's

The 541N has an address of 10.0.2.5/24 on vlan 20
541n Broadcasting multiple SSID Config:

541N with multiple SSID's

THE SWITCH MUST BE CONFIGURED AS FOLLOWS! (This is a 2960WS switch):

switchport trunk native vlan 20

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20,40

switchport mode trunk

If you configure all your 541N's like this you will be able to airplay from any access point to any Apple TV.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: