cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541N Client Management

Ed Melendez
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have two 541N access-points slightly overlapping eaching other and my clients appear to connect to the further AP most often.  They are setup in a cluster, but that appears to just provide configuration synchronization.  Short of purchasing a wireless controller which would appear to be overkill, is there any way to manage client connections between the two AP's?

Thanks,

-Ed

4 Replies 4

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support. You are absolutly correct, the cluster provides a single point of administration and lets you view, deploy, configure, and secure the wireless network as a single entity rather than a series of separate wireless devices. With that said there is no provision to manage any of the client connections other than doing like a white list or black list to allow or block connections. Our Enterprise division does have several different types of WLC and AP for various type of scenarios. It may be worth exploring just to ensure that you know your options. Here is a link to use as a good starting point.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/wireless/index.html

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866

Hey Eric-

Thanks for taking time to address my issue.  At this time unfortunately, we are unable to invest in a controller to support only two AP's.  You mentioned enterprise... are the 541N's unable to be used with the 2100 series controller?  We definitely wouldn't be able to scrap the new AP's we just purchased for two new ones and a controller...

Black lists or white lists wouldn't work because we would want clients to associate with either AP when roaming.

Thanks for the link, but it actually requires additional entitlement or the link is invalid.

-Ed

Hi Ed -- This link DOES NOT require entitlement: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/index.html.

Please check it out.

Stephanie Reaves

Cisco Small Business

Thanks Stephaine

Sorry about the link Mr. Melendez. Please le us know if we can answer any other questions.

Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
1-866-606-1866