Views
Helpful
Replies

AP541N General Questions

Benjamin Waldon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

We are considering order the AP541N for our network. A few questions...

1). Are there multiple models of the AP541N? or just one cisco part number?

2). I am assuming the basic antenna comes with it. Please advise if this is something that I need to buy seperate.

3). Are there part numbers for the POE injector?

Can anyone help me with the part numbers on the AP541N and the poe injectors?

4). We would buy a couple of these and run them in cluster mode. My understanding is that I won't need a controller. Do I need to buy a certain model to use the clustering or is that available on all the AP541N?

5). Can I have this talk to active directory to authenticate users? Is that tough to do? Do I need install some kind of agent on a domain controller? I have configured the ASA to use Active Directory for authentications. Should it be any more difficult that that?

I have setup a few other Cisco APs before and am generally familair with wireless. But, I am not a "wireless expert" and don't have any experience with this particular product.

Thanks,

Ben

1 Reply 1

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

1). There is just the one model.

2). It does come with the basic antenna. (3 total)

3). Currently there is no recommended injector. We do recommend a small unmanaged POE Switch (SD208P or SD2008P for example). It has been known to work with some 3rd party injectors but nothing that we can support or guarantee that it would work.

4). Correct, you do not need a controller, in fact these will not work with a controller. Clustering is present on all AP541Ns.

5). Yes you can have this authenticate to active directory, if you have any issue you can call into the Small Business Support Center and have one of the support reps. work with you on this. It shouldn't be any more difficult than with the ASA ?

Thanks
Eric Moyers
Cisco Network Support Engineer
SBSC WIreless and Surveillance SME
CCNA, CCNA-Wireless
1-866-606-1866