cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best method with AP541N for guest wireless access?

netguyz08
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client that has 3 AP541N's and they want to enable guest wireless access. However, their VOIP provider has their managed switches locked down so we can't add VLANs, etc.

So I cannot touch the switch or router config on this LAN.

Looking into AP541N documentation I see VAPs mentioned, can I enable those and have secure guest wireless access with the same private IPs that the rest of the LAN use right now? (That is, the employees are 192.168.2.x and the guest wireless users would also be 192.168.2.x.)

Or do I need to do something else to properly enable guest wireless? Like add another piece of equipment? I did try to add a Cisco RVS4000 to the mix but it wouldn't pass the VLAN across the switches that I setup for the guest wireless SSID.

The goal is to leave the switch and router in place, and work with the AP541N's that I have and get secure guest wireless.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but NO you won’t be able to set up a guess network without changing the configuration on the switch and router. The VAP (virtual access point) you can create another one for Guess access but to really segregate it from production environment we have to set our guess network on a different VLAN ID. When we add a new VLAN ID we also need to configure on switch and router for communicating purposes.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

jasbryan
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but NO you won’t be able to set up a guess network without changing the configuration on the switch and router. The VAP (virtual access point) you can create another one for Guess access but to really segregate it from production environment we have to set our guess network on a different VLAN ID. When we add a new VLAN ID we also need to configure on switch and router for communicating purposes.

Thanks,

Jasbryan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: