Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO SMALL BUSINESS WAP 140AC REMOTE SUPPORT

clintonrd30
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have recently purchased a 5 pack of the Cisco Small Business WAP 140AC's and I have a question in regards to remote mangement of these devices.  I have been attempting to determine whether I can connect to the WAP's from another branch office as the web page will not display.  I can however ping the managment IP address from another branch office but the web interface will not load.  I am concerned that this feature is not available to this model WAP.  I need to be able to manage each WAP deployed at branch offices from a central location on our private WAN.

Another issue is that I can only manage to connect to the web interface via ciscobusiness.cisco and not its IP address and only when connected via wifi.  I need to be able to connect to them via the RLAN /ethernet connection.  I also require the WIFI connected clients to connect to  different VLAN as the IP address of the WAP is the management VLAN.  is this available?  

cheers

Andrew

any advice on how this can occur would be greatly appreciated

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/CBW140/QSG/78-101499-01A0_Final.pdf

Look for Get Configured and subsequently Step 5 , that should get you 'lan based' access too.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

clintonrd30
Level 1
Level 1

Thankyou Marce1000 for your reply.  I have followed the steps in the quick start guide and unfortunately i havent been able to connect via the LAN.  I can however via a wifi connection to the AP.  My real issue is gaining access via the LAN connection either from

The same subnet or from a different Local VLAN.  I also cannot connect to the AP from another branch office on the WAN, however i can ping the AP management address from the remote branch site.  I would typically connect via ssl to the management IP.  Do you know if these AP’s allow the client to obtain an ip on a different VLAN as this is a requirement due to the AP’s management address being in a management VLAN on site?

cheers

- FYI  : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/CBW_Admin/Admin/en_US/b_Cisco_AP_Admin_Guide/b_Cisco_AP_Admin_Guide_chapter_0101.html#id_123706

>...

SSHv2 Access—Enable Secure Shell Version 2 (SSHv2) access mode for Primary AP console, that uses data encryption and a secure channel for data transfer. By default, this is Disabled.

Note 
By default, SSH is disabled for all APs that are connected to the CBW network. SSH can be enabled only by TAC for debugging purposes.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

clintonrd30
Level 1
Level 1

This was in fact an issue with my dhcp server as i am using a /28 subnet and used up the leases.  These WAP' requrie 2 IP addresses, on for management and one for remote accessability.  I think management is a bit misleading as from what I can see it is assigned to the primary Access Point for local  management via wifi connectivity, however youi need to drill down further by editing the Primary Access Point to see the second  assigned IP address for gui management over a wired  WAN/LAN.  Couldnt see any mention in the doco to reflect this.  Correct me if I'm wrong

clintonrd30 - I'm a newb but I'll chime in here.  If i'm following this thread correctly.  I agree with you, the management IP is hidden so to speak.  I'll tell you what I did and maybe you can get something out of it.

Let me first start off by saying I thought the AP's was only accesible via wifi...

I have my AP's set to DHCP.  You can look at the Settings Icon on the top right (the gear) of the config screen and it'll tell you the management IP that's been assigned.  I then went into my router to look up the the mac address for that IP, which will be the mac for the management console and then reserved the IP of my choice for the mac/management-console.  Now I just http into that IP.

r/

mj