cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAP 321 found bug that causes loss of config

ccarmock
Level 1
Level 1

I have been setting up a WAP 321 which has been unable to retain it's settings across reboots.

What I have found is that if I leave the Timezone set to USA (Pacific) the WAP 321 can be rebooted without losing config, but as soon as I set the timezone to United Kingdom the next reboot will cause the device to take a long time to reboot and will have then gone back to factory default setings.

To help me determine if I have a faulty unit, does any one else have one they'd be willign to set to United Kingdom timezone & reboot to see if you get the same results?

15 Replies 15

Tom Watts
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ccarmock,

What other settings did you make changes to? Lets make an example, if you make a custom SSID then change the time zone, does the device retain that change?

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

I edited the ciscosb SSID - changed the name to Abbotsbury100 set Security to WPA personal.  In details I disabled WPA & TKIP and left just WPA2 and CCMP (AES) enabled.

Makign *just* those changes the WAP 321 can be rebooted usign the reboot menu option or just by pulling power and it will retain it's settings.

After a reboot I then login and change timezone to United Kingdon.   A reboot in the menu or a power off/on reboot will then cause the WAP 321 to revert to factory defaults after a long reboot cycle, where it appears to reboot a number of times.

Regards

Clive

I have reproduced this behavior. Send me an email with your CCOID, serial number, I will collect data and submit for review.

-Tom

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/

Hi Tom,

I have a Cisco WAP321 with the same behavior.

I've tried to configure with IE9 and Google Chrome and the problem is the same. After reboot the access point is with factory default.

Strange thing is that when i configure the access point with Safari on a Mac, i have no problem at all...

This is a very strange behavior.

Is there any solution for this problem? (i.e. any firmware update?)

Best regards,

Vítor Oliveira

Hello Vitor,

I can create a case for you and have it escalated to the L2 team. If you'd like to do this, email me your CCOID and serial number and your exact symptom. Or verify your symptom is exactly the same as Clive's.

-Tom

Hi Tom,

It seems the exact same problem, described in diferent ways.

For me even if i configure a different management IP and after that reboot the system, the system take much time too boot and my laptop lan interface keeps goind "connected, disconnected, connected, disconnected..." until i turn off the access point off and turn it on again after about 10 seconds.

When it boots is in factory default settings.

When i'm configuring the access point on Safari Browser on a Mac laptop, i have no problem at all. I can change everything and reboot every time i want without losing my configurations.

The problem is only when i'm configuring on a windows laptop with IE9 or Google Chrome.

I will send you an e-mail with my CCOID, serial number of the access point and this description.

Note that this is the second Cisco WAP321 that we have received with the exact same symptom. We have returned the first one and received the second one with the same problem.

Best regards,

Vitor Oliveira.

Hi, Mr. Oliveira. My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Just to confirm the steps you followed when saving your configuration.

Did you go to the administration tab and Copy/Save to copy your running config to the startup config? If not, could you please test that for us.

Best Regards,

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Advanced Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Hi Mr. Moyers,

Yes, i have always saved from running to startup.

But for the record (and i know it's strange), even without copy running startup, the configurations are saved after reboot when configuring from a Mac laptop and Safari browser...

With a windows laptop and IE9 or Google Chrome, and saving running to startup the access point reboot's with the factory default configurations.

Please let me know if you need more info.

Best regards,

Vítor Oliveira

Hi Mr. Moyers,

I can confirm I have the same issue, the WAP321 shows a saved configuration after a sucessful copy/save (correctly dated), this is with both Safari and Firefox and following a very long reboot the saved startup config is lost. It does however keep the backup file I created but if I try to transfer to the startup config and reboot it ignores it and goes back to factory defaults.

**Edit - Can confirm if timzone left at US Pacific it saves config and reboots correctly.

I've attatched a screen grab following a factory default reboot showing saved backup file correctly dated.

Many Thanks

Kev F

Hi Mr. Moyers,

we have the same problem with timzone 'Germany'. To save the config from running to startup config has no solution. We hope you develope a firmware update!

Thanks, Patrick

Kevin and Patrick,

If you would, please email me your Cisco ID and device serial numbers. I will create a service request for each of you and submit to escalation.

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

Hi,

I have the same problem changing the timezone to Spain, is there any firmware to be upgraded to resolve this issue?

Thanks and regards!

Hi Ivan, this should be resolved on 1.0.1.10 release

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/release.html?mdfid=284152656&softwareid=282463166&release=1.0.1.10&relind=AVAILABLE&rellifecycle=&reltype=latest

-Tom
Please rate helpful posts

Hi Thomas,

Thank you very much! with the upgrade is running properly in all APs.

Regards!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: