cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAP131 - Bridge Wired Interface to Wireless

pauldukich
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAP131 and I'm trying to use it to bridge between the wired interface and wireless.

My scenario is that I have vendor equipment that needs internet access and I don't want it on the production network.

I'd like to wire this equipment into the WAP131 LAN port and then connect the WAP131 to our guest WIFI network for internet access.  The wired equipment can then use the guest WIFI network for internet access.

Is there a setup guide for this?

7 Replies 7

slstratt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello pauldukich,

Thank you for using the Small Business Support Community!

The WAP131 can be used as a bridge between wired clients and a wireless network. For information on how to set this up, please refer to this article.

If have any additional questions, don't hesitate to post them here!

Best,

Taylor

I've followed this article but this seems to bridge between a production wireless network and the wireless network the access point broadcasts.

When I connect a device to the wired lan port on the WAP it's unable to communicate through the WAP.

Hello, my name is Jonathan and i am one of the engineers here at the Cisco sbsc team.

I apologize for the issues with the units, please let me know the following so we can isolate the issue as much as possible.

-What is the firmware version on the wap131?

-Please let me know the topolgy a bit better. you need to use the wired network then want to plug the wap131 and connect through a wifi signal to the guest network. correct? is yes, is the router or switch you are using to plug the wap131 capable of understand a trunk setting? 

what is the model of the network equipment you are talking about?

thanks and have a great day.

Firmware is: 1.0.1.4

Topology:

WAP is connected to organization's guest WIFI network that gives internet access.  We'd like to connect a wired device to the WAP's lan port and then provide internet access to the device wired to the WAP.

Hello,

If I understood correctly, you want to get an ip address when you connect this device to the lan port of the wap131, if this is the case i apologize but this unit's lan port is in order to connect the wap to the wired network, so it can get an ip address, but unfortunately this unit is not capable of provide a connection via wired to other devices, nevertheless you can connect via wireless with either an issd on the 2.4 ghz band or the 5 ghz band. 

if you have any issues feel free to call us back at 1-866-606-1866

thanks 

Yes you are correct.  I need the device on the wired LAN port to obtain an IP address while the WAP is connected to a wireless network.

Please recommend an alternative product.

Thanks.

Hello Again, i was checking and the Wap361 might be a good  option, it has 5 Gigabit Ethernet ports  and  it can help you to get multiple devices on the wired network.  below you can check the datasheet of the unit, if you want to confirm the details. thanks 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/small-business-300-series-wireless-access-points/datasheet-c78-736452.html