cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect AP541N to RV220W to use same SSID

dgentileca
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to connect the AP541N to the RV220W and use the same SSID assigned to both throughout the office, for seemless client movement.  I would like to keep the AP541N connected via the internet cable, as it will be on a switch which is on the same segment.  The access point has many different configuration methods available, but the router appears to only have WDS as an option to connect the two devices.  I would rather not use the WDS feature on the AP, as I want to utilize as much bandwidth available as possible, and I assume using that method I would need to remove the ethernet cable from the switch.

Is it as simple as configuring both devices with identical VLAN settings?  I am preconfiguring the devices before installing them, as to minimize downtime, so would like to make sure the configuration is correct.

1 Reply 1

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

If you are going to keep the AP541N connected to a switch on your network, then you do not have to use WDS. WDS is only needed to connect two wireless devices together wirelessly.

For the setup that you outlined. Set the router up as normal and assign SSID and security. Then setup the AP541N in AP mode. Use the same SSID and security, however I would then assign each device to a different channel.

This way when you search for wireless signals you will see two separate signals. If they were on the same channel; with same SSID and security some times it will only show as one and you will never know for sure which one you are connecting to.

Now for the seamless part of your question. With small business devices you will not be able to get true seamless roaming. That is only available with devices that use a wireless LAN controller (WLC).

Without a WLC any wireless clients would have to disconnect from one signal in order to connect to another. To minimize that disconnection time, it is best to configure any wireless client to have both SSID profiles listed as preferred networks and to automatically connect when in range.

That way the wireless client when it disconnects from one will automatically see the other and initiate a connect.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any other questions as needed.

Thanks

Eric Moyers

Cisco Network Support Engineer

SBSC Wireless and Surveillance SME

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

1-866-606-1866

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: