Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP not working via a WAP321

caesarvanou
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a RVS4000 witch I use as router, and DHCP server.

I have a WAP321 witch I have configured SSID with one VLAN.

Both devices have fixed IP address.

I can connect computer to the wifi access point.

But the computer cannot get an IP address from the DHCP server of the RVS4000. If I set the IP configuration manually, it can get an access to the network and Internet.

With another wifi access point it works, the computer get an IP address for the DHCP.

What should I have to do to make my DHCP server works with my wifi access point ?

With best regards

17 Replies 17

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Could you provide the configuration of both devices (screen shoot of dhcp config for RVS4000) and let us know how these devices are connected toghter?

Regards

Najaf

Ofcourse yes, this is the configuration of my DHCP

192.168.5.254 is the adress of my Internet box access.

The RVS4000 and the wap321 are directly connected via a SFTP Ethernet wire.

--

Best regards

Jérémie V

Hi Jeremie,

Sorry didnt find the AP configuration on your previous post :-(

Regards

Najaf

Houps I forgotten their

Here there are...

The WAP was configure with the wisard.

The version of the frameware is 1.0.2.3.

If you need other information or screen shoot sask me.

--

With best regards

Jérémie V

Hello Jeremie,

Based on the screen shoots from the WAP321 it is configured correctly.

Do we have other vlans configured on the RVS4000 or is it just vlan 1?

What is the WAP321 plugging directly into, RVS4000, Switch?

Don't think it is a vlan issue since you are able to staticly assign a ip address and be able to get access to the network and internet. How many devices do you have on the network? I see you have a max of 20 users that can get a DHCP address. Could it be possiable you have reached your max?

It doesn't seem like it is a issue with the WAP321 but I do see you note that you have tried other AP's and it works just fine. Only thing I could see that you could do on the WAP321 is do a factory reset and reconfigure just to see if that clears up any issues the WAP321 is having but other than that it should be working just fine.

May help to provide a network topology at this point as well.

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

"Do we have other vlans configured on the RVS4000 or is it just vlan 1?"

The VLAN1 is configure on the RVS4000 only

"What is the WAP321 plugging directly into, RVS4000, Switch?"

Yes the both devices are directly pluged.

"How many devices do you have on the network?"

The network is quiet small about 10 devices, but I setted the max user to 50 on the RVS4000 DHCP.

I proceed tiwce factory reset with the same result.

Hello Jeremie,

Looking at your screen shots I notice that you have the local IP set as 192.168.1.X. However you have your DNS server IP listed as 192.168.5.254. Do you have static routes set up to allow the 1.X network to talk to the 5.X?

Could you try putting that server on the 1.X network and see how that does?

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

I'm Sorry, just reread this thread and saw where you mentioned that 192.168.5.254 was your Internet access box. I missed that the first time around. Regardless of whether or not your RVS is connected to a modem, your WAP should still get an IP from the RVS and pass it through to a connected wireless devices.

Did your WAP321 pull an IP when it first was plugged in. If you plug a device directly into the RVS4000 will it automatically pull an IP?

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

"Did your WAP321 pull an IP when it first was plugged in. If you plug a  device directly into the RVS4000 will it automatically pull an IP?"

I remember that the WAP321 pull an IP adress form the DHCP when it first was plugged in, but to make me sure I'm going to make a test by processing to a factory resset.

Computers can pull and adress form the DHCP.

Hello Jeremie,

Every sounds fine still so fare. Could you take a screen shoot of the settings under L2 switch in the RVS4000 and show the vlan configuration on the lan ports? That is the only thing I can think of were the issue could be at. Other than that, if you were to plug a PC directly into the port were the WAP321 is plugged in, do you get a ip address?

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

Hello Clayton Sill,

This is the configuration of the L2 Swtich on my RVS4000:

When I have pluged a PC to the same port as the WAP321 on the RSV4000, the pc have pull an IP adress

--

Jérémie V

Hello Jeremie,

Everything looks good at this point. Everything should be working just fine unless I have miss something small. The only thing I could suggest to do is to set the WAP321 to DHCP instead of setting a static ip address on the WAP321. This shouldn't make a difference but I am just curious to see what happens. and I'm trying to remember if you have stated this but have you already upgraded the firmware to the latest and do a factory reset and reconfigure of the WAP321? I don't know if the RVS4000 is on the latest firmware but I don't think it would make a difference (wouldn't think so anyway's).

If all else fails I would try giving Cisco tech support a call and have them look at the WAP321 configuration to make sure everything looks right. They may not be able to do too much with the RVS4000 since it is more than likely out of warranty but this is the only other thing I can think of at this point.

Everything should be working just fine the way I see it.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

Think's for your anwser,

I quickly try to set the WAP321 to the DHCP configuration but it was the same.

I will try to update the frameware of the both devices I mean the WAP321 and the RVS4000 by a couple of day.

With best regards

Jérémie V

Hello Clayton Sill,

I downgrade the WAP321 frameware from 1.0.2.3 to 1.0.1.10 I could configure my wifi network with the wizard.

The DHCP worked !

So I upgrade the frameware form 1.0.1.10 to 1.0.2.3, the DHCP is still working !

But I can't change the wifi security parametres I mean the WAP2 and the wifi password, the fields are disable.

I haven't change the RVS4000 frameware.

--

With best regards

Jérémie V