cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Getting DHCP Default Gateway from Another DHCP Pool

CiscoChris2013
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using an SG300 as a DHCP server for my wireless clients. I'm noticing that every now and them my client gets a DHCP address from the proper pool, but are getting their default gateway from a different pool. When i clear the old stale/expired bindings from the pool and reset the NIC, the client will get the correct DHCP address/DG. The current code is 1.4.2.4. All scope addressing is configured correctly as well.

I did see a bug that was supposed to be fixed in this version that sort of matches my issue, but not exact.

Issues Addressed in Version 1.4.2.04

• Switch as DHCP server always assigns its IP address as default router option (option 3) even if this option is not configured in DHCP pool. If other IP address is configured,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris

there are multiple bugs for dhcp on these smb switches that seemed to have been passed through the firmware versions I would recommend using an actual server if possible just for the dhcp service , you could try to downgrade but from what I have seen though this forum(you can search dhcp sg300 in the search bar) there seems to be issues in every version unlike the catalyst switches where its more stable

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Chris

there are multiple bugs for dhcp on these smb switches that seemed to have been passed through the firmware versions I would recommend using an actual server if possible just for the dhcp service , you could try to downgrade but from what I have seen though this forum(you can search dhcp sg300 in the search bar) there seems to be issues in every version unlike the catalyst switches where its more stable

I do have some older smb switches that don't experience the same issue. They do run an older code though.

I would use that then if its working fine on dhcp if a server is not an option.

at least until a newer fw version comes out for your newer smb platforms

CiscoChris2013
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to to a packet capture when a user was having the issue. It looks like the the switch is inserting option 3 with the default gateway of another pool. The quick temp work around seems to be to clear DHCP binding/Rest NIC.