Views
Helpful
Replies

Ghost client in captive portal

Emosist
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We regulary got problem with some guests trying to use our captive portal : they did not get the captive portal login page, but the administration login page instead ! Generally we try to change them from 2.4 to 5ghz, or reboot there pc, or last solution is to reboot the WAP device. But this morning I spoted something : the pc that have the problem and with the mac address "ac:e0:10:28:02:91" was connected one of our WAP (we got 3 WP 371) and was assignated the IP "172.16.65.180" by the DHCP. But when I checked the "Associated Clients" form the Captive Portal menu, I saw another mac address associated to this IP address ! This unknown mac address was not connected to any of our WAP, was not known by the DHCP, and was not connected to our network ! It is a "ghost" client that was not clean. To test this, I reserved another IP for the "ac:e0:10:28:02:91" and after reconnection, it immediatly printed the captive portal page ... I searched how to clean it and did not find anything, more than that, it never timeout (been hours since I detected that). The only solution to clean it (at least did not find another one) is to reboot the WAP.

Has anyone got this "ghost" think and has a solution ? I don't want to reboot all the WAP devices every time it failed to timeout a client.

There is some screenshots of the "Associated Clients" and the "Captive Portal Associated Clients" from this morning. You can see the PC "ac:e0:10:28:02:91" connected to VAP1 (captive portal vlan) with his new IP (172.16.65.220), and the Ghost device with the IP 172.16.65.180.

2018-12-13 11 36 13.png2018-12-13 11 12 13.png

If someone has any idea, I will take it !

Gwenaël from EMOSIST

1 Reply 1

boatanas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Dear Customer,

The issue you are experiencing may need further in-depth investigation. Therefore I would advise you to open a service request with us. If you would send me in a private message your Cisco ID and the serial number of your access point(s) I will take care of it.

Thanks.

Borislav Atanassov
Cisco Small Business TAC
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: