cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Managing wireless devices

msherman
Level 1
Level 1

I just set up a new wireless environment for my company using the ACS 1121, 2-5508 WLCs, with about 30 LWAP spread out over 10 different remote sites. We have 2 SSIDs, one is secured using PEAP, the other is set up using web auth for auditors and vendors. The problem we are having is anyone who enters the medical center will attempt to connect their smartphone, tablet or laptop to it. They can't browse without the IT department issues credentails BUT anyone who connects to that 'open' SSID is issues an IP address. As a result, last week we ran out of addresses. So to combat this I set a subnet aside just for the web auth and cut the lease time down to 8 hours. 

Is there anyway to have the web auth only issue an IP address after you authenticate, or a way to monitor what devices are connected to a particular SSID or AP???

If either are possible can someone send me instruction or a link

Thanks

Matt                   

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
So to combat this I set a subnet aside just for the web auth and cut the lease time down to 8 hours.

Cut this down further:  2 hours.

a way to monitor what devices are connected to a particular SSID or AP???

From the controller, go to Monitor and then to the lower left-hand side "Client".  Click on the link to enable the filter and enter the open SSID and under Status, choose "authenticated".

A few other method is to use SNMP or SQL query the WLC.  We've done all three.