cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Muliple SSID/VLANs on 240AC

cma-2020
Level 1
Level 1

In the COVID/work from home world, I have been working to affordably segment my SOHO network between work, home, and IOT devices.  So far, I have been able to successfully segment my wired network (it works) and am now working on my wireless.

For wireless, I have a 240AC Small Business access point and a CBW142 Mesh Adapter.  With the goal of setting up multiple SSIDs on the 240AC, each aligned with different VLANs, I trunked the 240AC Mesh uplink port to a port on an SG250 on my wired network. 

Once I make a VLAN assignment on any of the SSIDs, I can no longer get a DHCP address assignment (wireshark shows a DHCP Discover without an Offer), Request, or ACK).   Without the VLAN assignment, it works (DHCP Request and ACK).  DHCP is provided via a SG300 MLS on my wired network (each VLAN has a SVC configured for them).

I am at a loss of how to solve this.  Is it not possible to serve multiple SSID/VLAN combinations from a single Small Business access point?  Am I required to have subordinate access points for each SSID/VLAN?

I havenā€™t found useful documentation or videos yet on the Small Business product line that helps me with what I am trying to do.  I appreciate your help or suggestions.

11 Replies 11

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You may be able to configure a DHCP relay on the SG250 to point to the central DHCP server for all vlans/(ssid's) needed. Check this document for more info :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/cisco-small-business-300-series-managed-switches/smb5567-configure-dynamic-host-configuration-protocol-dhcp-relay-set.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for the reply.  Unfortunately, the SG250 is a L2+ switch that does not support DHCP relay.  In my network, the DHCP server is configured and working via an upstream SG300 switch, (which supports L3). 

In fact, the Master and each Wireless access point on the 242AC are being served a DHCP address from the DHCP server (as long as I doing assign an SSID to a VLAN).   Also, each of these VLANs are working on the wired network with proper DHCP assignments, so I don't think the issue is with DHCP relay or the DHCP server. 

My question really centers around the SSID to VLAN configuration on the 240AC and whether a single Small Business access point (e.g. 240AC) can support multiple SSIDs, each assigned to different VLANs. 

Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/wireless/cisco-small-business-100-series-wireless-access-points/smb5172-configure-ssid-to-vlan-mapping-on-a-wireless-access-point.html

It looks like not since your model is not listed in the document (see Applicable devices)

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Unfortunately, your document appears to reference a different product line (WAP).....which in and of itself is confusing.  The 240AC is part of the CBW product line.  The following link (https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/CBW_Admin/Admin/en_US/b_Cisco_AP_Admin_Guide/b_Cisco_AP_Admin_Guide_chapter_0100.html#id_129425) refers to  configuring VLAN tagging on a CBW access point.  Unfortunately, after following these steps on my 240AC for any SSID, I am not served a DHCP address.  If I don't specify VLAN tagging, each SSID client receives a DHCP address, it is just not associated with the VLAN I want them to be (I think it defaults to the management VLAN).

I am simply trying to figure out if I am trying to solve this solution with an architecture (all VLANs through one CBW Wireless access point) that it doesn't support and whether I need to get subordinate access points in order for it to properly associate each SSID to the appropriate VLAN.  Nothing in the documentation that I've read so far suggests it won't work, but it hasn't worked for me so far.  I don't want to buy additional devices if getting them won't solve what I am trying to accomplish.

@cma-2020 

Yes, with the CBW240AC you can associate up to 16 WLANs (SSIDs) and map them to VLANs. You only can't map WLAN to VLAN0 and VLANs 1002 to 1006.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/csbap/CBW_Admin/Admin/en_US/b_Cisco_AP_Admin_Guide.pdf

Regards,

Martin

KevinPFleming
Level 1
Level 1

I have a home network with two 240ACs and one 140AC, and I've got four SSIDs, each on their own VLANs. It is definitely not necessary to have a separate AP per VLAN.

At this point you may need to plug in some other VLAN-capable device to the switch port that the AP is using and find out if that other device is able to receive an address via DHCP on each of your target VLANs.

If it's helpful, here's a screenshot of the WLAN configuration for one of my SSIDs.

I second both Kevin's and Martin's answers. Would also add as my own 2Ā¢ that assigning VLANs to SSIDs is pretty standard functionality for all standalone WAPs nowadays, regardless of vendor.

Sylvain_F
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,
I have the same problem.
Sorry I'm French and my English is not very good.

Here is the hardware and configuration.

Router RV340

LAN 1 (VLAN 1): 192.168.0.254/24 - DHCP Relay: 192.168.0.245
LAN 2 (VLAN 30): 192.168.30.254/24 - DHCP Server: 192.168.30.1-192.168.30.254

Switch SG350-10P

VLAN ID 1 - Default
VLAN ID 30 - WIFI_GUEST
VLAN GE3 Mode: TRUNK
IP v4 interface - VLAN 1 - 192.168.0.144/24
IP v4 interface - VLAN 30 - 192.168.30.50/24
DHCP Relay Server Table: 192.168.0.245 & 192.168.30.254

CBW240AC

2 SSID
WIFI business- VLAN Tagging NO
WIFI GUEST - VLAN Tagging 30

RV340 LAN2 connected to the GE1 port of SG350
CBW240AC connected to the GE3 port of the SG350

The business wifi works but not the guest wifi.

Thank you for your help.

Torsten75
Level 1
Level 1

Hi cma-2020

just some questions as IĀ“m not really sure if I have understood your setup correctly..

So you have created 3 "wired" VLANs (work e.g. vlan10, home e.g. vlan20, IOT e.g. vlan30). I assume you use diffenent IP networks per vlan. Correct?  LetĀ“s say

192.168.10.0/24 for VLAN10,

192.168.20.0/24 for VLAN20,

192.168.30.0/24 for VLAN30

For every single VLAN you have configured a DHCP server on your SG300. Correct? 

You now want to create 3 SSIDĀ“s (e.g. SSID10, SSID20, SSID30) and configure a 1 to 1 mapping vlan/ssid thus VLAN10/SSID10 VLAN20/SSID20 VLAN30/SSID30. Is this correct?

And you also have configured your WLANĀ“s on your 240AC like KevinPFlemming posted in his screenshot?

If all this is correct I would verify again the port configuration on your SG250 where your 240AC is connected to. I have an identical setup here (other HW RV345P and CBW145AC but this should not make a difference). And with the setting of KevinPFlemming it works perfect for me.

Regards Torsten

I am having similar issues with my new 240AC. I have my native vlan set and vlan tagging set on all SSIDs. However, on the switch configuration when I change it from

"switchport access vlan <native vlan>"
to
"switchport mode trunk"
"switchport trunk native vlan <native vlan>"
"switchport trunk allowed vlan <ssid-vlans>"

Everything breaks and I am no longer to get to the management interface. It seems like the native vlan setting on my 240ac is either not working or I am missing something.

Hi ,

My name is Nikola and i am an engineer from the SBSC team.

My name 

You can configure several Service Set Identifiers (SSIDs) or Virtual Access Points (VAPs) on your access point and assign different configuration settings to each SSID. All the SSIDs may be active at the same time. Client devices can associate to the access point using any of the SSIDs.

Regarding the CBW240AC you can set up to 16 WLANs (SSIDs) and assign them to appropriate VLANs. However you can't assign WLAN to VLAN0 and VLANs 1002 to 1006.

Furthermore, you can configure a DHCP  the switch on the switch to point to the central DHCP server for all VLANS/SSIDs desired.

Thank you,