cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new Cisco RV 120W Wireless-N VPN Firewall

velociraptor01
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking to replace my current small business wireless router/firewall with an 802.11N supporting model.

Toward that end, I am reviewing the Cisco RV 120W Wireless-N VPN Firewall as a candidate.

1). I want more flexibility than I had with my current 802.11G model in establishing configurable firewall rules. In reading about, for instance the Netgear DGN2000 (although I don't believe it mey be a suitable candidate for other reasons in my use), I read about its capability for firewall rules configuration:

>>
>> Further control over incoming and outgoing traffic is available through Firewall Rules, which allow you to restrict access to specific IP address ranges and a selection of ports used by common services. You can add port ranges of your own, making it easy to block those commonly used for things such as peer-to-peer clients, and rules can be applied to all local machines or only those in a designated address range.

How extensive is the comparable ability to configure firewall rules on the new Cisco RV 120W model?

2). I have some equipment which I cannot yet phase out still only capable of 802.11G protocol. Will the Cisco RV 120W model 'fallback' (be compatible
with) these as wireless clients?

3). Does CSCO (or anyone?) have a dual WAN (load balanced 2 inputs) router firewall in this approximate market niche?

THx....

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This firewall is backward compatible with 802.11 a/g clients. But dual WAN port is not supported , only the wired model supports dual WAN port.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

This firewall is backward compatible with 802.11 a/g clients. But dual WAN port is not supported , only the wired model supports dual WAN port.

Thank you. Good to know that B and G protocol will be supported. Wish all my clients were N.

I see you are a CSCO employee. Can you tell me a little bit about how extensive the ability is to configure firewall rules on this? On my current G router/firewall, I was limited in the number of rules that I could construct, and actually ran out of them.

THx....

_mc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: