cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Announcements

Welcome to the Cisco Small Business Community

Have a question? Click on a topic board below to get started in the community.

Views
Helpful
Replies
RobertHessenauer
Beginner

Proper WDS Extender for RV180W

I recently replaced my working WRVS4400N v2 Router with an RV180W.  Unfortunately I am now stymied, as I am unable to use WDS to connect my WAP4410N to the RV180W to fill a dead spot. I tried calling support (case # 623405011) but we were unable to get communications working correctly - even when the two devices were less than 5 feet apart. The engineer's final suggestion wwas to put the WAP4410N bact to factory default, connect it to a laptop, and compare settings side-by-side...thats 2 hours of my life I will never get back as it was a useless endeavor. And before anybody asks, the WAP4410N is on 2.0.5.3, and the RV180W is on 1.0.1.9 (Both are on the latest available firmware).

My question would be what Cisco device would be best matched with this RV180W so I can use WDS and fill in the hole.  I have no problem, just as long as it works and stays stable, as I had with the WRVS4400N / WAP4410N setup. Optionally, is there some other setting the engineer missed?  The RV180W is my gateway router and primary wireless access point, I just need to fill some spaces where there is interference.

Thanks in advance for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Eric Moyers
Rising star

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Because of the chipset used in RV180W the best device to use is another RV180W. This device actually has an AP mode on it and what you would do is setup your 2nd RV180W in that mode and it will then turn it into a Access Point like the WAP4410N.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20