Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Proper WDS Extender for RV180W

I recently replaced my working WRVS4400N v2 Router with an RV180W.  Unfortunately I am now stymied, as I am unable to use WDS to connect my WAP4410N to the RV180W to fill a dead spot. I tried calling support (case # 623405011) but we were unable to get communications working correctly - even when the two devices were less than 5 feet apart. The engineer's final suggestion wwas to put the WAP4410N bact to factory default, connect it to a laptop, and compare settings side-by-side...thats 2 hours of my life I will never get back as it was a useless endeavor. And before anybody asks, the WAP4410N is on 2.0.5.3, and the RV180W is on 1.0.1.9 (Both are on the latest available firmware).

My question would be what Cisco device would be best matched with this RV180W so I can use WDS and fill in the hole.  I have no problem, just as long as it works and stays stable, as I had with the WRVS4400N / WAP4410N setup. Optionally, is there some other setting the engineer missed?  The RV180W is my gateway router and primary wireless access point, I just need to fill some spaces where there is interference.

Thanks in advance for any help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Because of the chipset used in RV180W the best device to use is another RV180W. This device actually has an AP mode on it and what you would do is setup your 2nd RV180W in that mode and it will then turn it into a Access Point like the WAP4410N.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

View solution in original post

20 Replies 20

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Because of the chipset used in RV180W the best device to use is another RV180W. This device actually has an AP mode on it and what you would do is setup your 2nd RV180W in that mode and it will then turn it into a Access Point like the WAP4410N.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Eric,

Thanks for the quick response, and your honesty.

if I am understanding you correctly, the following is my course of action (and I am not happy as the previous Cisco engineer on the case I referenced above was either lying or dead wrong)

1. The WAP4410N is a brick that can only be used as a WDS repeater for the WRVS4400N v2 - get rid of it and stop trying to make it work (6+ hours yesterday WASTED)

2. Spend ANOTHER $180 for ANOTHER RV180W. Configure it as an Access Point ONLY.

3. Set up RV180W #2 with the SSID, channel, Security (WPA2-Personal), PSK, etc. that needs to be repeated to cover the dead spot.

4. Enable WDS on both devices and use the PSK from step #3 when asked.

5. Enter the WDS MAC of the opposing end of the tunnel of each device where appropriate.

6. Pray that you are right and everything works, because if it doesn't I am out $180 on another piece of equipment that I cannot use.

Please confirm that I have this right, the costs are going up as we speak. Additionally, it might do well to let the engineers on the phone know that RV180W WDS to WAP4410N is NOT GOING TO WORK.  The engineer I had yesterday insisted it would and had me do everything but take her answers, hold them up to a mirror, and read them while hanging upside down waiting for a revelation or I passeed out.

My anger is not at you, it is near you, and I have rated your response as requested.  Upon confirmation that the above (or some derivative thereof if you believe it needs modification) will and does work I will mark this as answered.

Bob Hessenauer

Eric,

Now that I have the second RV180W in house, could you please confirm or correct the configuraion I posted above?  I just want to have this go right out of the box as the engineers over the phone seem to know little about these devices, their configuration, and troubleshooting the setup of an access point to cover a dead spot.

Thanks,

Robert Hessenauer

Eric,

With the second RV180W in place I am happy to report that all appears to be working.  The only Exception is that I am no longer able to access the management interface of the 2nd RV180W, so if there are firmware updates to be applied I will have to tear eerything down and rebuild it.  When I was using the WAP4410N I was still able to access it by ip and update as necessary.  Am I missing something?

THanks,

Robert Hessenauer

Let me research that by putting this up in my lab. You should still be able to get to the unit. Did you assign a static IP to the unit or do a DCHP reservation?

I may not be able to get to it today, but will inform you as soon as possible.

Eric

Eric,

The 2nd RV180W has a static Ip address.  Besides setting up WDS, I also authorized it from the Rogue Ap list to make sure there were no impediments.

Once it was set up and talking to the base station, I could not even access the management interface from a laptop wired (with a static IP as well) to the LAN side of the device.

Any info you can discover would be helpful.

Robert Hessenauer

Robert,

I'm thinking about using a similar setup at a customer's site.  Has Cisco provided you with an answer?  An answer has not been provided in this discussion.

Doug,

Not as of this writing, but I trust Eric (unlike some of the posters here) to work the problem and provide some guidance. It may take a while to model and provide an answer, but for now everything is working swimmingly, and can be easily rebuilt if the need arises due to a firmware update.  I am pleased to report that this setup is actually more stable and quicker than my prior solution (WRVS44002v2 / WAP4410N)

Hope this helps,

Robert Hessenauer

Thanks for your response Robert. 

I'm debating on whether to buy another RV180W as you did or disable the wireless on the RV180W and try and position a PoE AP (using an injector) that will cover the entire space.  I've noticed the range on the RV180W is not great. 

Are you able to use WPA2 PSK with WDS?

Doug,

I find that with both RV180W devices working I am getting excellent coverage, and am able to use WPA2 PSK for one of my SSIDs, the other is open but MAC locked for those devices that don't support WPA2 PSK.

The entire setup has been stable and reliable.  With my prior solution I had gotten to the point where I was rebooting every week to 10 days max.

In all, I am very pleased with the RV180W solution, Eric is working on a caveat I discovered, and I am still waiting for information from Cisco about DCHPv6 PD that I was told (repeatedly) these devices supported.  I have Comcast for my ISP and MUST have this functionality as they will be providing an external IPv6 address AS WELL AS an IPv6 /64 subnet to be used internally.  So far I have conflicting information from Cisco and an ISP engineer about whether this will work under the current firmware revision.

I am sure that this secondary issue will be resolved by a firmware update, its just a question of when.

Hope this helps,

Robert Hessenauer

Hello, Mr. Hessenauer, Sorry I was out of pocket the last part of last week and just now getting to put this in lab. I should have a response to you today.

Sorry for the wait.

Eric Moyers

Eric,

Not a problem.  I did get a call concerning my original case (trying to use the WAP4410N) that I had opened.  While I expressed my dissatasfaction with the engineer on the phone (2.5 hours trying and then dumping me to the forums, insisting it would work when it would not), I WAS HIGHLY complimentary of you and your efforts.  You not only provided me an answer, but you helped me understand the why behind it - that gave me the confidence to move forward and get things working.

Now you have taken ownership and are working to resolve the final blip in this implementation, and I do and will continue to appreciate your time and efforts - I believe the response I gave to the Supervisor on the phone is htat you should be a model for their support engineers.  I have no problem with someone stating that they do not know, as long as it is followed with a commitment to find out the CORRECT answer, and not just a referral to shift the problem to others (ie "Try the forums, because this should work and I have other calls")

Thanks again,

Robert Hessenauer

Hello Robert, I have just come out of the lab on this and have some news. After some configuration changes I am able to get into the management interface and do a reflash of the firmware and everything as would be needed. I wanted to update that to you and let you know I am working on a more detailed step by step of what I did and expereienced.

I should have that for you soon, depending on what else I am hit with this afternoon.

Eric Moyers

Eric,

This is good news.  Take your time as (by now) you should have gotten another post.  IF DHCPv6-PD can be added through a firmware update then we really are in business (I do LOVE how stable these devices have been) and would prefer to stay with them - I just want the functionality promised over the phone.

Again, I compliment you on your excellent work, and will willingly work with you anytime.

I look forward to the instructions, its not a huge issue, so take your time.

Thanks,

Robert Hessenauer

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: