cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV110W and WDS

chris parkinson
Level 1
Level 1

I have an RV110, and I'm interested in extending the WiFi range using its WDS feature.

The RV110W data sheet simply states.. "allows wireless signals to be repeated by up to 3 compatible devices",

Where can I find these "compatible devices", and has anyone had any success using WDS with any APs from the SMB product line?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Chris,

All of the Small Business Access Points support WDS.  You can take a look at the various AP models here:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/wireless/index.html-tab-AccessPoints

I have setup WDS for several customers successfully.

The only thing to keep in mind is that for every station (or access point) that you repeat out to the throughput speed on the remote station will be cut in half.

Several of thewireless routers also support WDS, so you could use another RV110W for example.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Christopher Ebert

Network Support Engineer - Cisco Small Business Support Center

*Please rate helpful posts*

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

chrebert
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Chris,

All of the Small Business Access Points support WDS.  You can take a look at the various AP models here:

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/wireless/index.html-tab-AccessPoints

I have setup WDS for several customers successfully.

The only thing to keep in mind is that for every station (or access point) that you repeat out to the throughput speed on the remote station will be cut in half.

Several of thewireless routers also support WDS, so you could use another RV110W for example.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Christopher Ebert

*Please rate helpful posts*

Thanks, if the client goes ahead, I'll try the WAP200E.

I took a quick look at the WAP200E, and it does mention WDS options in the admin guide.

I do want to point out however the the WAP200E only does wireless G.  It is one of the older model access points we offer.  I took a look at the data sheet and it doesn't mention WDS anywhere, but like I said it is in the admin guide.

Just something to double check before you decide to go with the WAP200E.

Christopher Ebert

Clayton Sill
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Chris,

I thought I would add some information from my experience with these products. I used to work for Cisco Small Business Support and I had been testing a lot of the WDS features. The WDS feature on the RV110w didn't work too bad but usually from my experience is they usually work best with the same model device. I never did test between RV110w between WAP200e and would be worried you'd run into some issue. The other concern I would as well would be the wireless G speeds and that the WAP200e are EOL EOS anyways so don't know if there is any other places you could purchase that AP. I know the WDS features between these two worked good but mostly seen them set up for WDS bridge between buildings.

I thought I would throw my two cents in on this. Maybe someone from Cisco that still has access to that excel spreedsheet I worked on can see what all I test the RV110w with and provide with more information.

Hope that helps

Thanks,

Clayton Sill

I need an exterior AP, this is for a construction site, the only SMB exterioir AP I could find was the WAP200E, did I miss one?

Hello Chris,

The WAP200E was the only SMB exterioir AP that was offered, you maybe able to find people still selling them though because I don't see it on the Cisco website anymore. Other than that maybe there is a Cisco Aironet that is a exterior model but I am not too familiar with the Aironets.

Thanks,

Clayton Sill