Views
Helpful
Replies

RV180W - How to make devices roam?

renatosteinberg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have one RV180W configured as a router and access-point. Now I've added a second device (another RV180W), connected them via wired connection and configured the second device as an Access Point.

The second device is working, but when I can't make devices roam from one access point to the other. If I first connect my smartphone on one of the devices it works, but if I move to a different room and it connects to the second one it doesn't work anymore.

What do I need to do to make it work?

Best,

Renato

4 Replies 4

vvijaysa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Renato,

You may have to configure WDS between your two devices. Refer the following document for the same.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/csbr/rv180w/administration/guide/rv180w_admin.pdf

Let me know if you need further help,

Thanks,

Vijay

Hi Vijay,

Thank you for your reply.

I did try to configure WDS between the two devices, but they are still not working. I confgured each device with the other's mac address, the other thing I tried to do is configure each device in the Approved AP list.

Isn't WDS used for a wireless connection between the devices? Since I'm using a wired connection between them do I still need to use WDS?

Hi, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

Yes Sir you are correct. Wireless Distribution System (WDS)  allows a wireless network to be expanded using multiple access points without the need for a wired backbone to link them.

In your topology since you have two RV180W and the one that your using as a AP is hardwired, you do not need to use WDS.

The initial problem is something you should call into the SUpport Center and let one of our support engineers assist you with

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.

Cisco Small Business Support contacts:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/support/tsd_cisco_small_business_support_center_contacts.html

Thank you Eric,

I'll call support center.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: