Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Sg300-10 dhcp question

Gooed morning,

i know some basics about networking and vlans, but i know setting up a cisco device can be sometimes challeging.

i can buy a sg300-10 l2/l3 switch.

my home situation is router, giving ip adresses through a small dhcp pool to all my devices. Now i want to seperate my network, for now in 3 vlan’s: private, camera’s and guests; vlan 10, vlan 20 and vlan 30. Behind this cisco i have a hp switch with 24 ports, and my main use for the cisco will be to act as dhcp server on each vlan, and act as a gateway to the router/internet

so if i need an additional vlan 40, i configure a dhcp pool for this vlan and connect it to the hp at it’s approiate port.

my questin is can this be done as above, when i set the cisco in L3 mode?

or do i need a seperate/different solution that is better? For now i have no time or hardware to setup a seperate windows server or something like it, and this seems quite compact, and when set up easy to maintain

All comment is helpfull, even suggestion in a different perspective, as long as it is compact, easy to expand.

rgds patrick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life already announced for Cisco Small Business 300 series switches.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/small-business-300-series-managed-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

So, it’s better to go for the latest models available now. You may check for Cisco Business 350 series switches.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/business-350-series-managed-switches/index.html

Regarding your setup, you may connect the uplink router in default management VLAN 1 on the Cisco Switch. And configure the VLAN 10, 20, 30 & 40 in that switch with inter-VLAN routing enabled. Upon enabling the DHCP server in Cisco switch for respective VLAN, switch will provide the DHCP IP to the connected device in each VLAN.

To forward the traffic for all the VLANs to the up-link router, you need to add a default / static route in switch towards the up-link Router. Accordingly, you need to add necessary routes in Router as well for the reverse traffic for each VLANs created on the Cisco switch.

Note: Please configure the VLAN tagging appropriately in each switch port (Cisco Switch) based on your Network setup.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Sujoy Paria
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

End-of-Sale and End-of-Life already announced for Cisco Small Business 300 series switches.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/small-business-300-series-managed-switches/eos-eol-notice-listing.html

So, it’s better to go for the latest models available now. You may check for Cisco Business 350 series switches.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/business-350-series-managed-switches/index.html

Regarding your setup, you may connect the uplink router in default management VLAN 1 on the Cisco Switch. And configure the VLAN 10, 20, 30 & 40 in that switch with inter-VLAN routing enabled. Upon enabling the DHCP server in Cisco switch for respective VLAN, switch will provide the DHCP IP to the connected device in each VLAN.

To forward the traffic for all the VLANs to the up-link router, you need to add a default / static route in switch towards the up-link Router. Accordingly, you need to add necessary routes in Router as well for the reverse traffic for each VLANs created on the Cisco switch.

Note: Please configure the VLAN tagging appropriately in each switch port (Cisco Switch) based on your Network setup.

Hi Sujoy,

thanks for your reply. Very usefull indeed.

for me i wNt a cheap setup to do some testing and training and when working i will go for the newer hardware. For now the older hardware is offcourse cheap second hand.

thanks again, and i will look into the links provided by u later, but the explanation about the vlans setup is most helpfull.

rgds

patrick

Glad to help!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: