Views
Helpful
Replies

SRP541W Rotuer boost WIFI signal

svegus1651
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!

I used to have a DLINK router which covered my whole house with its Wifi signal. After upgrading to the

SRP541W router, only the very close vicinity of the router has any acceptable level of signal to use devices. I seriously need to improve WIFI range to accomodate my small business. I asked the Live chat technician and the answer was "This device does not support external antennae" and then silence. Okay it is not supported but what I am looking for is a solution, not a dead end.

For example, is there a cisco repeater/extender that I could deploy that works with the SRP541W router? Has someone else had any luck or experience adding one loooooong cable and putting one atenna at a different location of the house? Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Gustavsson

To change the antenna will change the frequency range from 1710 – 2170MHz on a 1.8dbi antenna, to 2402 - 2485 MHz on the 3dbi antenna.

A repeater would be a great idea if you are interested on amplified the signal range.

If you are interested on getting one of this devices, you could check the different models on the next link.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/wireless/index.html

If this answer was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

svegus1651
Level 1
Level 1

Another reply gave me some more information, default antenna that comes with router is

1.8 dbi. And suggestion was to try a 3dbi antenna. Any comments on how that might work out?

Sven,

The antenna comment is somewhat inaccurate.Changing antennas will not change the frequency range providing the antenna you purchase is compatible with what you currently have now. Antenna dbi increase do not, by themselves change frequency range of an antenna.

An increase from 1.8 dbi to 3.0 dbi should provide you with a better signal coverage range. However, physical characteristics of the environment may impede that perceived increase of eirp.

I had a similar problem with low signal strength with an 871W and the three workstations I had in my house. I ended up changing antennas on the router and each wireless network interface card and this did finally increase the overall signal to and from the router/workstations. You certainly can try it but you may find that it still does not overcome the problem you are currently encountering. Using a wireless extender(repeater) may be what you end up having to do.

Not knowing what you currently are using for nic's, another option would be to purchase one of the new wireless NIC's that provide spatial diversity (2 or more antennas vs. 1), this will also help to improve overall signal strength to/from router/workstation.

jurodri3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mr. Gustavsson

To change the antenna will change the frequency range from 1710 – 2170MHz on a 1.8dbi antenna, to 2402 - 2485 MHz on the 3dbi antenna.

A repeater would be a great idea if you are interested on amplified the signal range.

If you are interested on getting one of this devices, you could check the different models on the next link.

http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/wireless/index.html

If this answer was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: