cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to configure WDS between RV215W and RV130W

Tom Leicher
Level 1
Level 1

I have two Cisco routers, one RV215W which has a wired internet connection on the WAN port. And one RV130W  which I want to function as a repeater for the RV215W since I'm not able to provide a wired internet connection but it's in the wireless range of the RV215W.

So far, I've enabled WDS on both devices. On the RV215W I allowed the wireless signal to be repeated by a repeater and entered the MAC address of the RV130W (http://sbkb.cisco.com/CiscoSB/GetArticle.aspx?docid=bc2590e518b9473b98188bd936d5d9d1_Wireless_Distribution_System__WDS__Settings_on_the_RV215W.xml&pid=2&converted=0).

On the RV130W I enabled WDS > WDS Repeater > Repeat wireless signal of a remote access point and entered the MAC address of the RV215W (https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/12435996/how-configure-wireless-distribution-system-wds-rv130w).

I also created the same SSID on both devices with the same wireless network mode (B/G/N-mixed), wireless channel (1-2.412 Ghz), security mode (WEP).

But I can't get it to work. What I'm not quite sure of is how I should configure the WAN/LAN settings on the repeater. Should I disable the DHCP server on the repeater? Should I set the device mode to AP instead of router on the repeater? Should the LAN address of the repeater be in the LAN range of the WDS host?

These are just some of the questions I have and I would appreciate it if someone would be willing to help answering a few of them.
I would be happy to provide screenshots of the current configuration I have if necessary.

3 Replies 3

Eric Moyers
Level 7
Level 7

Hello Sir

Yes for this to function correctly you will need to place the RV130W into AP mode. Then go about configuring it for WDS.

If you have anything other issues or questions please let us know.

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Thank you very much for your reply!

I configured the RV130W as AP and got WDS to work. But only when the security mode of the wireless network is disabled or WEP.
Are those the only possibilities to get WDS to work? Because I would like to use WPA2-Personal but then it doesn't seem to work.

Without actually testing, I am pretty sure you should be able to use WPA2 Personal. Is that selected on both of the devices? In order to really troubleshoot this it may be quicker if you called in and opened a case with one of our engineers.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/tsd-cisco-small-business-support-center-contacts.html

Eric Moyers
.:|:.:|:. CISCO | Cisco Presales Technical Support | Wireless Subject Matter Expert

Please rate helpful Posts and Let others know when your Question has been answered.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: