cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 121 commandline

0markymark0
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WAP 121 and wish to automate the process of changing the password daily on the guest access.  I believe Telnet is no longer available so is there an alternative?

Please keep it simple as I'm only 1up from an idiot!

3 Replies 3

Andrew Lien
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 0markymark0,

Unfortunately, due to security concerns, Telnet and SSH access options are removed in firmware version 1.0.1.10.

So far, I do not believe there is an alternative to automatically changing the password daily other than (possibly) creating and running a script that logs into your wap through the webGUI & changing the pw there.

-Andrew

Thank you.

I have tried to script this through the browser but I can only get to login in and can't find a way to script updating the settings so I guess I'll have to keep doing it manually.

Thanks.

Michal Bruncko
Level 4
Level 4

Hi

I hope this can be achieved via SNMP. I can change Pre-shared Key to new value via snmpset with RW community string on predecessor device WAP4410N. Command in my case:

snmpset -v 2c -c RWCommString X.X.X.X SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.6.1.32.4410.1.3.2.1.14.1.1 s "new-psk-pass"

where:

• "2c" is SNMP version used. Keep it to "2c".
  • "RWCommString" is ReadWrite SNMP community string. Replace with your own.
  • X.X.X.X is IP address of your WAP
  • "SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.6.1.32.4410.1.3.2.1.14.1.1" is specific OID (Object IDentifier) containing PSK string
  • "s" means STRING data type
  • "new-psk-pass" is new PSK key

But of course OID "SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.6.1.32.4410.1.3.2.1.14.1.1" is specific to WAP4410N and most probably is not same like in WAP121.

To determine your OID, you have to get custom WAP121 CISCOSB OID with:

snmpget -v 2c -c ROCommString X.X.X.X sysObjectID.0

And now perform SNMP walk through sysObjectID.0 OID subtree:

snmpwalk -v 2c -c ROCommString X.X.X.X YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY | grep currentPSKstring

..where:

• "YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" is OID returned by previous snmpget command.
  • "currentPSKstring" is simply your current PSK secret

Output of that command should result of displaying single line like in my example here:

SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises.9.6.1.32.4410.1.3.2.1.14.1.1 = STRING: "Wif1h1dd3nSecr3t"

and now you know what OID is the right in your case (complete string before "=") and you can try to update it with your new PSK with snmpset command (like in my first command at beginning). Do not forget to use Read/Write community string for updating SNMP OID.

To check if you have successfully updated PSK, you can use:

• perform same snmpwalk with grep-ing yur new PSK, or
  • simply open web interface of WAP121 and check if value is updated

The only question remains - if new PSK key is applied to existing SSID automatically or you have to reload your WAP. But I can't respond to this as I haven't WAP121.

Hope this helps..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: