Helpful
Replies

WAP 321 obviously not booting after PoE power loss

Claus Pfleger
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys, 

got troubles with my WAP 321 which was PoE powered by a ESW-540-8P

My UPS died and so both PoE switch and WAP lost power. Restoring power the switch came up again smoothly but the WAP was just slowly blinking the amber power led. 

Steps I already tried without positive results: 

- plugging off again from ethernet cable and replugging 

- pressing on/off button several times 

- using another PoE switch known to be good 

. pressing the reset button (even longer than 10 seconds) 

What I could see was that after giving power to the WAP the amber power led lights solid for about half a second, then the yellow network led flashes just one time and then the amber power starts slowly blinking forever.

For me it looks like the WAP is unable to boot for whatever reason. 

Any other recommendations?

Regards!

Claus  

6 Replies 6

ssav00001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi xact1,

Have you been able to solve this issue?

I am having exactly the same issue with WAP321 connected to a PoE switch. It was working before, but when I unplugged the Ethernet cable and plugged it back again, it stopped working. When I connect the Ethernet cable, the amber power LED is solid briefly, then the network LED flashes once, and after that the amber power light keeps blinking forever.

Looking forward to your response.

Regards.

Probably not the solution you're hoping for - I requested and got a hardware replacement via WebChat support.

Not that responsive and only after some additional testing (usage of proper power supply instead of PoE etc.) but finally I was allowed to send back the defective device and received a replacement one. 

So good luck & regards! 

Claus 

Thank you!

I bought mine on Amazon. Sounds like I need to get a new unit.

Regards,

I would check with Ciscos web chat support first. 

AFAIK there is a one year hardware warranty on these units, I didn't need to copy a bill for prove - they just took my word. 

Regards!

MakerAZ
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 WAP321 and both with exactly the same issue. I managed to start one of them just switching the AP on and off multiple times while plugged to AC and non-PoE port.

There is no exact number of times to fix it. Just need to keep an eye on the LAN LED as it will eventually stay ON and start blinking indicating data flow.

This is definitely a hardware issue. 

I had 2 APs with the same behavior: power led amber flashing slowly (powered via poe).
I attached the AP with a power supply, connected the ethernet cable to a no-poe switch, turned it off and on and it was back to life.
The second one required more effort: i tried turning it on and off multple times with no success, then I went back to power it by poe and it worked.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: