cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAP 4410 as a repeater

gniecko50
Level 1
Level 1

I have spent countless weekends trying to configure the WAP 4410 as a wireless repeater.  From what I see the instructions and help screens seem to be incomplete or the WAP is not capable of this function even though it is available.

It will not connect to the modem wirelessly as a repeater.  I have tried numberous settings including the same channel and SSID without avail.  As soon as I disconnect it from the wireless modem it will no longer connect to the internet.

I have an older WRT 610N which will connect to the modem as a repeater so I don't think it is at the modem end. 

Searches have indicated others with a similar problem but I don't see any viable solutions except to buy and connect to another WAP 4410.

Contacting Cisco for suppor by chat t has been pointless. Either they are not available when I am or they are clueless.

Any help or suggestings would be greatly appricated otherwise I will scrap this POS and find a better solution elsewhere.

Thank you,

J

5 Replies 5

Hello Mr. Gniecko,

My name is Diego and I am part of the Small  business Support community. I have seen your  post and would like to help you with information  that might be helpful on your case. You could find this and more information about our Cisco small business products on the guide me section.

http://is6.nohold.net/CiscoSB/ukp.aspx?vw=1&docid=e87a6038f33d45629be4836efd3fe177_WDS_repeater_mode_set_up_on_a_WAR4400_series_router.xml&pid=4&fcid=&fpid=&slnid=11

If this answer was satisfactory for you, please mark the question as Answered.

Diego Rodriguez

Cisco network engineer

Thank you

Diego,

I have followed those instructions many times in the past without any sucess.  A Cisco support person spent 2 1/2 hours in an on line session doing the exact same thing with out sucess. 

Her recommentation was that I purchase two other WAPs and that would solve the problem. 

Since this router was initially recommended by Cisco online support or my desired use. They should provide a workable solution other than recommend that I go out and purchase additional products.

Jim

Jim,

To date the only devices I have found reliably able to wirelessly repeat the WAP4410N are the WRVS4400Nv2 Router and another WAP4410N.  It has something to do with the chipset involved. 

I found out the hard way as I WAS using the 4410N to cover a dead spot and changed my router to an RV180W.  Even though I was assured (over a 2 hour phone ocnversation) that this would work, it was Eric Moyers (great Cisco guy- really knows his stuff) that explained that it would not work and that I would have to get another RV180W (which I did) and now everything is running beautifully.

Hope this helps,

Robert Hessenauer

Robert,

Thank you for your reply.  I bought the 4410 at the recomendation of the Cisco online support team and they gave no indication its use was limited.  Since my post I spent an additional 2 1/2 hours with Cisco support only to be told that she recommended that I buy two other Cisco Access points and that should solve the problem. 

Since the first recommendation was useless I am skeptical to accept the second solution to buy two additional WAPs.  

If the $$10 will only connect wirelessly with other 4410 access points then this is a design flaw and the product does not perform as advertised.  If this is the case then Cisco should either solve the problem or provide suitable replacements products that will perform as advertised. 

Unfortunatly, Cisco has us at a disadvantage and they know it.

Jim

Hello Mr Gniecko, My name is Eric Moyers. I am a Network Support Engineer in the Cisco Small Business Support Center. Thank you for using the Cisco Community Post Forums.

What exactly are you trying to do? What products are you trying to do it with? I see that one of them is the WAP4410N. What else do you have?

Mr. Hessenauer, is correct. With the WAP4410N the Chipset of each radio product do play a part in the connection of the units.

Instead of saying what will not work, I would like to find out what you need and give  you a suggestion as to what will work.

Also Mr. Hessenauer, Thank you for the kind words.

Thanks

Eric Moyers    .:|:.:|:.

Cisco Small Business US STAC Advanced Support Engineer

CCNA, CCNA-Wireless

866-606-1866 ext 601027

Mon - Fri 09:00 - 18:00 (UTC - 05:00)

*Please rate the Post so other will know when an answer has been found.